6 weeks to a better me

We want to seek God with our whole hearts, bodies, and souls, so we're going to seek Him 6 weeks at a time.

6 weeks to a better me

Postby Matthew on Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:37 am

Well, I'm tired of being stuck where I am spiritually and physically.

I finally realized that Pride was numbero uno in the way of me and God. This was an awesome realization, but then I slowly fell back into my old ways.

I want to seek God with my whole heart, body, and soul, so I am going to seek him 6 weeks at a time. I have 2 books that I plan on reading, only 6 pages a day per book. I don't like to read but 6 pages a day is totally manageable. The books are "Every Man's Battle" and "Wild at Heart." I think these 2 books will help me to manage my man struggles and really come to terms with what a man of God truly is.

I also plan on reading my Bible daily. This is something that I always struggle with. Friday and Saturday reading rarely happens, so usually there are at least 2 days a week I'm not in His word.

Lastly, I plan on doing something physical ever day. Whether it's walking/running or just doing push-ups and sit-ups at the house.

If I miss a day, I will make it up the next, and so on. After 6 weeks I will reevaluate where God has taken me and where he wants me to go next.

I will probably either post here daily or weekly to keep track of my progress.

I'd appreciate any prayers guys.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacGyver on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:21 am

What a great plan, Matt. I'll be praying and looking forward to seeing your progress in the journey! ;)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby andrwfields on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 am

I definitely give you a Kudos on this one. Great idea and I know the follow-through will pay off. I need to get something like that going. I look forward to seeing how this works out for you.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:48 am

You know, it could be something we try as a site. Try to set aside a time during the week to chat about things. I really miss being able to do that.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:53 am

chad_ghost wrote:You know, it could be something we try as a site. Try to set aside a time during the week to chat about things. I really miss being able to do that.

I second that motion. Even though Rev and I didn't like the book in the book discussion, I did like getting online and chatting with you guys. Granted, I probably won't be able to make it to any of the chats just b/c we did them around 8pm and I don't have a home PC or the internet.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:13 am

Day 2 - Monday 9/24

Physically
Leslie and I went walking for about 15 minutes. Not as much as we usually do, but definately better than nothing

Spiritually
Read Luke 17 & 18
Read 6 pages from Every Man's Battle
Read 6 pages from Wild at Heart

The first couple of days are always easier than day 6 or 7. This weekend I'll be at the GI Joe Con w/ Chad, so this weekend will be obstacle number 1. Making time to spend with the Lord on weekends has always been tough for me.

thanks guys for the support and prayers.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:48 am

This is truely inspiring. Chad, you should make a separate forum for this where everyone could post their progress. That's if anybody else would be interested in doing it.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 am

Day 3 - Tuesday 9/25

Physically
10 push-ups
20 crunches
10 reg sit-ups
I figured this would be a good base to build from, plus I didn't want to get sore to where I wouldn't do it again. It's kinda pathetic how sore I get so easily anymore

Spiritually
Read Luke 19

Definately felt tempted yesterday, and it's hard because I know that I'm not 100% seeking God's will. I say I don't want to sin, but I deep down don't mean it with all my heart. I just thank God for the last 3 days and hope that I can keep him in the center of my life.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Matthew on Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Day 4 - Wednesday 9/26

Physically
10 push-ups x 2
20 crunches
10 reg sit-ups

Spiritually
Read Luke 20
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Chuck Norris on Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:11 pm

First, awesome your this motivated, I believe God will bless your focus. Secondly, you said the other day you were pretty tempted. I just want to testify to the fact that whenever I try to seek the Lord more and even improve myself whether academically or physically, satan attacks me more. He uses confusion, doubt, fear, and even twists my feelings to where I believe it's conviction, but certainly isn't. So just a simple word to remind myself and you if you need it, the devil tends to come around when we begin to become a threat by seeking the Lord in greater ways. Improving yourself in the Lord and in other areas will help you become a more powerful Christian for God's kingdom, so keep pluggin and resist the devil's temptation.

I've gotten you on the prayer list, let us know how it goes, and hopefully we can help bear this challenge,

><> Jonathan
Chuck Norris
does not sleep. He waits.

Postby Darko on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:18 am

While at the Joe con, just remember, there is a Bible in the drawer of every hotel room in America. Way too many people forget that. It's a resource, use it. Being in a strange, unfamiliar environment can weaken your defenses.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby Matthew on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:41 pm

ok, here are the last few days

Day 5 - Thursday 9/27

Physically
nothing :(

Spiritually
Read Luke 21

Day 6 - Friday 9/28

Physically
nothing (unless running around at the con in my costume counts)

Spiritually
Read Luke 22

Day 7 - Saturday 9/29

Physically
nothing again

Spiritually
nothing :(

For Day 8 I'm going to get back on track now that I am home. I'll post tommorrow my progress. Praise God though, because he has given me alot of strength when it comes to guarding my eyes. I'm still resisting, but many of my man struggles are subsiding, so extra praises to the Lord for this.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby MacGyver on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:41 am

Awesome Matthew. Your humility in posting every day...successes AND shortfalls is great for us, too. Paul said "imitate me", not that he was some spiritual paragon or something, but that he was living a real walk. We could all learn something from this. ;)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby Matthew on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 am

MacGyver wrote:Awesome Matthew. Your humility in posting every day...successes AND shortfalls is great for us, too. Paul said "imitate me", not that he was some spiritual paragon or something, but that he was living a real walk. We could all learn something from this. ;)

thanks. Humility has been hard, because I want to take credit for this myself, like I could accomplish this on my own. I feel that by posting my progress, it is a way for me to openly admit my flaws and shortcomings, and also a way to glorify as He draws me closer to Him.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Matthew on Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:34 am

Day 8 - Sunday September 30

Physically
nothing (again)

Spiritually
Read Luke 23
Read 8 pages from Every Man's Battle
Read 4 pages from Wild At Heart

I'm going to try to catch up through the days I missed. Hopefully being back in a routine I can get my physical stuff back on track too.
Matthew
The Mayor

Next

Return to 6 Weeks