Romans 1 - 11/18/07 to 12/01/07

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

Romans 1 - 11/18/07 to 12/01/07

Postby andrwfields on Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Here are some links to Romans 1:
New International Version
New Living Translation
King James Version
New King James Version
The Message
New American Standard Bible

Hope I covered all of the versions that mostly everyone uses. If you'd like to see another added up there, please let me know.

Feel free to post some good commentaries on Romans 1 or anything related.

Let's get to it!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:49 pm

Well I had some questions typed up earlier and it looks like my session timed out. I'll try again.

Greetings from Paul

Why does Paul call himself a "slave" to Jesus?

Why is so much emphasis put on the difference between the Gentiles and the Jews in this chapter and the others to follow?

(This question was spawned from the previous one) If the Gentiles are considered second-best to the Jews, then why are a majority of the Christians in today's society composed of Gentiles? Are we still second-best in God's eyes?

What did the Roman church do that made them so famous in the Christian world? Other than Paul being a Roman citizen, what makes them so special to him?

God's Anger at Sin

Paul says that people see evidence of God in all places, so there is no excuse for not knowing him. Do you agree?

Do you think it's possible to know the truth about God but to not accept Him?

Verses 21 - 23 talk about people who knew God but didn't worship Him and began to think up "foolish ideas" about the being of God. They began to worship other things instead of God. Do we, as Christians do this in today's society and how can we combat it?

Do you think that if we turned our backs on God for so long that He would abandon us?

Do you know anyone like the people Paul is talking about at the end of the chapter?

What does Paul mean when he says that those people who sinned against God intentionally knew the death penalty that God would make them suffer for it?
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby MacGyver on Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:01 am

Good questions! I hope to get on them now that Thanksgiving is over. ;)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby andrwfields on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:40 pm

Devotional Study from Romans 1

Prayer
Check!

Meditation

Lessons
*We have been chosen by God to tell the world the Good News about Jesus Christ. (v. 1-7)
*Paul was not ashamed of Jesus or being a Christian. "This is accomplished from start to finish by faith." (v. 16-17)
*People who know the truth about God are punished by God for their unbelief and turning against Him. (v. 18)
*People make/made idols out of everyday items and worship them instead of God. (v. 25)
*People who turn from God fill their lives increasingly with "wickedness, sin, greed, hate, malicious behavior, and gossip." (v. 29)
*People who turn their backs on God encourage others to do so. (v. 32)

Attitude to Change
Thankyou Lord for chosing me to spread the story of Jesus to others around me and in the world. I'm sorry for not saying more about Christ to others and not letting others see how a Christian life can be lived through me. I know that I should not be ashamed of You and I would never deny knowing you, but I need to do more to let others know about you.
God, I thank you again for never turning from me. I know that if any turning has ever been done, it is me from you. I pray that you guide me and never let me turn to idolize anything above you. May I never encourage anyone else to do this either. Speak to their hearts to see you with both eyes, wide open.

Application
I know that in my daily life, it would be hard sometimes for others to see that I am a believer in Christ. I want to work on that by not swearing so much and acting more like a good person. I sometimes focus too much on the things of this world. I want to start turning off things that bring unwanted attention away from God. By doing both of these things, I might be able to show other people how awesome God can be, and get them to start thinking about Him as well!

Memorization
Remember that faith is the key! "This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith." (v. 17)

This devotional template is from Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods
andrwfields
Constable

Postby lobo on Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby andrwfields on Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:28 pm

That's an awesome link there Lobo! It has a lot of in-depth commentary. I've posted this in the main sticky too.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:48 pm

how sad am I. I haven't even looked at this. Looks like Satan really doesn't want us doing this study. I'll try to catch up over the weekend.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:56 pm

No worries brother! Everyone is befuddled with their holidays coming up and they're spending time with that and their loved ones. Who am I to get in the way of that?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby MacGyver on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm

I kinda feel bad too! But I'm glad we're flexible and understanding! :) My excuses are a little less noble than holidays and spending time with family and friends! :)
His mind is the ultimate weapon...

Knowing is half the battle!

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eternity.
MacGyver

Postby andrwfields on Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:44 pm

Once again, I'm not worried at all. This group was always for anyone and everyone at anytime all the time.

Does anyone want more time to go over Romans 1 or is it safe to move on to 2 come Sunday?
andrwfields
Constable

Re: Romans 1 - 11/18/07 to 12/01/07

Postby thea on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:35 pm

verses 11 and 12 are interesting in Romans 1.

They are in direct reference to Ephesians 1:14.

The mutual faith both of you and me corresponds to what happens between two people who are both Christians and both really know Jesus. The Holy Spirit witnesses that they know the Lord Jesus when they are talking about Jesus!!

Say you can "know" when someone else is a Christian because of this "witness of the Holy Spirit between you and me" which St. Paul is talking about in verse 12.

thea
thea

Return to Bible Study