Romans 2 - 12/02/07 to 12/08/07

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

Romans 2 - 12/02/07 to 12/08/07

Postby andrwfields on Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:16 am

Here are some links to Romans 2:
New International Version
New Living Translation
King James Version
New King James Version
The Message
New American Standard Bible

Here is a link to the commentary that Lobo found for us:
Romans 2 - The Guilt of the Moralist and the Jew

What did you get out of this chapter of Romans? Agree or disagree with any of it?

Onward Christian soldiers!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:29 am

Devotional Study from Romans 2

Prayer
Check!

Meditation

Lessons
*We should not judge others because we cannot even judge ourselves. (v. 2)
*Judgement should and will be left to God. (v. 5-7)
*God does not show favoritism towards the Jew or Gentile. (v. 11)
*It is worse to know God's law and disobey it than to have never had the law and disobey it. (v. 12-20)
*Since we know the law, we should teach ourselves before we try to teach others! (v. 21)
*Being chosen by God does not give you any special protection from God for not obeying His laws. It simply means you will be judged first. (v. 25-29)

Attitude to Change
God, I do thank you for choosing me for the tasks that you have. Please give me the guidance, patience, and strength to be a better Christian and live a better life so that others may see by my example. I ask that you would help me and show me my wrongs when I do them so that I may ask for your forgiveness. Lord, I do not profess to know all of your laws or to even understand them all, but I do ask that you would guide me there. I ask that after understanding these laws, that you would show me how to live by them.

Application
This is one of those humbling chapters. I am one that let's my ego get in the way a lot of the time. I don't claim to know the whole Bible, but the parts that I do know sometimes get strutted about. I need to work on "practicing what I preach" or "walking the walk after I talk the talk" or "putting my money where my mouth is." Take your pick. I do tell others not to do things that I myself and guilty of, and I need to take care of that. I need to lead by example.

Memorization
Lead by example! "And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people." (v. 29)

This devotional template is from Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:50 pm

A lot of the phrases in Romans 2 deal with Gentiles and Jews. By Webster's dictionary a Gentile is defined as somebody who is not Jewish. But the way Paul seems to define them is a person who does not know the law of God.

Would today's Christians still be considered Gentiles? Law's set by Christ are considered God's laws, and we know of them and we follow them (at least we try to). Jews (unless Messianic) do not even acknowledge Christ and would be going against Him.

To me, it seems the definition has changed.

Regardless of who is who -Gentile or Jew- there is still a "docking order" defined by Paul. He says that Jews will be first in all things. What does that mean to us?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:52 pm

I haven't taken the time to read Romans 2 yet. Seems like Satan is really working on me here (and the study too it seems).

I plan on reading it tonight.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby lobo on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:10 pm

andrwfields wrote:*We should not judge others because we cannot even judge ourselves. (v. 2)
*Judgement should and will be left to God. (v. 5-7)

1Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.

2But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.

3And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?

4Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

5But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;

6Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

7To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

So, what is the difference in the passage between applying the law and applying judgement?
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby andrwfields on Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:59 pm

lobo wrote:So, what is the difference in the passage between applying the law and applying judgement?

I think that the difference is in the heart. Most of the time, when we apply the law we are doing it because a man has done a crime against another man. We are doing what we feel is right to remove that threat from society and from happening again.

When we pass judgement, we are doing it because a man (could have also) commited a crime against God. By passing judgement we are doing nothing to remove the threat, but just to make ourselves feel better.

I know there's a better way to say it, but that's the best answer I could muster up.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Matthew wrote:I haven't taken the time to read Romans 2 yet. Seems like Satan is really working on me here (and the study too it seems).

I plan on reading it tonight.

It's the holidays, methinks.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:12 am

this verse stood out to me:

24As it is written: "God's name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.

Leslie goes to school with non-Christians. It is really hard for her to want to fit in with them, but still be true to her faith. This is something we talked about yesterday and I read this last night. We've decided that we almost have to be "better Christians" in front of non-Christians than we do around Christians. Anything we do that the world could view as "not Christ like" (even if the Bible doesn't prohibit it) can destroy any witness we might have.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 am

Sam and I face the exact same problem with a friend of ours. He is an atheist but he might be leaning towards agnostic. I don't know what has happened to him, but he's been either hurt by the church or somebody from the or in the church.

He respects people, but he's overly cautious around most Christians. He's let Sam and I into his inner circle, but he still puts up certain barriers against us. It's been a goal of mine for the longest time to get him to go to church with me at least once.

Anyway, to the point is that I feel like I need to be the best Christian possible when I'm around him but still show him that I'm the same guy he's always known. It's a fine line to walk and sometimes I wonder if I'll fall off the tightrope (in fact, a couple of times I have).

It's a hard thing to do, to say the least.
andrwfields
Constable

Re: Romans 2 - 12/02/07 to 12/08/07

Postby thea on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Romans 2 is a lot of Judgment talk?

However, it is interesting to note in verse 16 - and in Gal. 1:8-9 that we are judged by St. Paul's gospel??

What is the difference between judgements?

I know - do you??

thea
thea

Return to Bible Study