Romans 5 - 01/06/08 to 01/13/08

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

Romans 5 - 01/06/08 to 01/13/08

Postby andrwfields on Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 am

Here are some links to Romans 5:
New International Version
New Living Translation
King James Version
New King James Version
The Message
New American Standard Bible

Lobo's Link:
[url=]Romans 5 - Benefits of Being Justified through Faith

Let's get back on track for the new year!

John 4:14 wrote:But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from

Postby andrwfields on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:55 pm

Chapter Summary for Romans 5

Joy, Adam, and Jesus

Grace and Endurance – v. 1-5
Christ paid the penalty – v. 6-11
Adam brings death; Christ brings life – v. 12-20

Chief People
The (Roman) Church

Choice Verse
“When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.â€
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from

Postby Matthew on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:21 pm

i didn't even see your post on Monday! dang, need to get it in gear.
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:32 pm

No worries bro!

Like I said when we first started talking about the bible study, even if it's just me doing it I know there's at least one person benefitting from it!

Re: Romans 5 - 01/06/08 to 01/13/08

Postby lobo on Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:51 am

my comments (some based on the enduring word study)

Psalm 14
1The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Romans 5

6For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.

Because of Adam's sin, everyone after him (except for Jesus) has been born into sin. Every single person (except for Jesus) on earth has been born into sin. Every person that has existed (except for Jesus) has fallen short of the glory of God. (That's three different ways...) Jesus came to reconcile sinners (the ungodly) to God. There are two conditions of man: saved and unsaved. If you are not saved, you are unsaved. Therefore, the "Jesus died for everyone else" excuse, isn't valid. It doesn't hold water, air, or anything else. Still, you can choose either one. If you decide not to choose salvation, then you choose to remain unsaved.

7For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.

8But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

While we are sinners, we are God's enemies. Until we accept Jesus, we remain enemies. Yet, even when we are enemies, God's love was so great that He sent Jesus to die in our place so we could into His presence.

9Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

(God's wrath, not the wrath of man/satan/the world, is what we should fear.
Matthew 10 states:
23But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come.
24The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.
25It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?
26Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; and hid, that shall not be known.
27What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.
28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

10For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

11And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

12Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

This is found in Genesis 3

6And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
7And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
8And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.
9And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
10And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
11And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
12And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
13And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
14And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
15And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
16Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
20And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.
21Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
22And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
23Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

13(For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

The law shows us the line that divides wrong from right, but it came too late and isn't powerful enough to save us. Only Jesus can save us.

14Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

15But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

16And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.

17For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

18Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

19For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Only by accepting what Jesus did, can we be saved. We cannot work our way into Heaven. The works that we do show that we are Christians. In the Great Judgment, we can not stand before God, and represent our selves. We MUST have Jesus to stand for us. That's just the way it is. The sin of Adam seperated us from God. The love of Jesus brought us back. That's how it works. Our righteousness is as filthy rags - so, a man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client.

John 14
6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

James 2
14What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
15If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
16And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
17Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
21Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
22Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

How would Abraham's faith have been shown, if he hadn't done as God requested? "I believe in You, Lord, but not enough to follow You..." Abraham existed before Mosaic Law...

23And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
24Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
25Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
26For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

20Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

So then, should we sin more so that grace may abound more?

Hell? Yes.
Heaven? No.

21That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...

Return to Bible Study