New Ideas?

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

New Ideas?

Postby andrwfields on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:18 am

Does anyone have anything they'd like to study with me? I'm really just looking for somebody to have a reading outline with.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: New Ideas?

Postby chad_ghost on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:58 pm

andrwfields wrote:Does anyone have anything they'd like to study with me? I'm really just looking for somebody to have a reading outline with.

We are reading through Job in my SS class. Of course, it's just one chapter a week. We are 5 chapters in now.

Also, some of us have been reading 1 Samuel. That is a good one.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Might be a good plan. Tell you what, since I was one of the only people really coming in here anyway, you ought to close down this section of the board if nobody perks up interest in the next few days.

Cut away the old and make room for the new!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:58 pm

We did start the 1 Samuel study...I apologize for letting it drop. Let's get it going again, starting with chapter one.
And Andy, were you meaning close out the "Bible Study" section of the board? If so, I totally disagree. Even if only one or two of us post in it, you NEVER know who else could browse by this site and be exposed to the Word of God by what we have done here.
If I just misunderstood what you were saying...then I apologize. :oops:
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:59 pm

You did catch my meaning actually. But I agree Des. We never know who might happen by here. It's our job to keep this forum going.

Sam 1?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:06 am

1st Sam 1. It looks like we have a total of 31 chapters. Let's decide how to break it up into chunks to read and then, I don't know, maybe set dates to post by? What do you think?
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:22 am

I accidentally left my bible in the car tonight (big storm rolling through), so I'll have to take a look when I get in tomorrow afternoon. As for now, it's good to have someone to read with.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:32 am

No doubt! :D We should be able to hammer out a schedule over the weekend and be ready to roll Monday.
We aren't having the storms here in Tazewell, VA but some fierce winds! I know they had a report of a tornadoe over in Russell Co..
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:35 am

Louisville has been hit hard over the past year. We had wind storms back in September that put 3/4 of the city without power for close to 2 weeks. We just had that ice storm a couple of weeks ago that the last people are getting their power back from, and now this. I don't want to know what the outtage is this time.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:36 am

And it's past my bedtime. We'll hit it hard tomorrow.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:39 am

I hear that. 5:15am for my Quiet Time comes quick. I'd better head for bed...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz.
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:00 am

Sorry about the delay. Had some business and a movie to tend to tonight.

So down to the schedule. 31 chapters, and all seem to be about the same length with the exception of a few. How do we work this out to where we can set a reasonable goal for how much we read but not stretch it out so long that it becomes boring?

I think a chapter a day is a reasonable pace for somebody just reading on their own, but we have to be realistic that we won't be able to commit that kind of time to the internet, reading, and our normal activities. We could read 5 chapters a week and have the study done in 6 weeks. We could read 3-4 chapters a week and have it done in about 2 months.

A lot of this depends on how much discussion and study we actually want to put into this. Most reading guides say the entire book can be read in less than two weeks if taking it at a leisurely pace.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am

I think six chapters a week is a good pace. It is only a chapter a day and then we can post one day. A chapter a day should be fine, after all, if we can't devote enough time to the LORD to read one chapter of His Word each day...we may need to re-evaluate our priorities.

So one chapter a day starting next week?
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Sounds like the plan. What day do we want to make our post day?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:34 am

For me, between 2pm-4pm Sunday afternoon are just about my only true open time each week. So Sunday's work for me, but I can always put in ten minutes or fifteen minutes at the computer any day. So whatever is decided works for me... :D
destros_elite

Next

Return to Bible Study