1 Samuel Chapters 1-6

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

1 Samuel Chapters 1-6

Postby destros_elite on Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:17 pm

Guys,
Here is the reading schedule for this week (Feb 15-21):

Monday 1 Samuel 1
Tuesday 1 Samuel 2
Wednesday 1 Samuel 3
Thursday 1 Samuel 4
Friday 1 Samuel 5
Saturday 1 Samuel 6
Sunday Post Day

This is just a rough schedule of course. If you want to read all six in one day and then post about them...no problem! Just so long as our first posts are done by Sunday 11:59pm so we can discuss throughout the week while reading the next six chapters.

Don't forget to pray before you read, after you read, and to take some time after to read to ponder and dwell on what the LORD is saying that particular passage of scripture.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: 1 Samuel Chapters 1-6

Postby andrwfields on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:02 am

I agree with Des. The only thing that I would add to it is that it's encouraged to ask questions. If you get hung up on your reading, don't hesitate to look into other books, the internet, or even post the question up here. And don't forget to pray!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:59 am

Checking in to see if everyone made it through day 1 without any hitches! I actually didn't get my study done until late last night, but it was nice to do all the same.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby RevSears on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:46 am

hey guys, Andy told me about this. Ruth- Samuel II are probably the books i've studied most in the bible. I've taught them to the Adult class on wednesday nights (just getting into Samuel II) and reread them with my wife one chapter a day. We are currently in Sam II but i'll dig up some old notes and re look at these as much as I can to try to add to the conversation. I did a lot of reading from multiple sources so I may be able to help (may i'm not claiming to be a great theologian or anything, just a student) be able to help with any confusions.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby andrwfields on Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:40 pm

We look forward to any input you've got bro!

I'll be posting my study later on tonight. I'm going bowling with some friends first! Wish me luck.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:21 am

Well, bowling went okay. I wasn't on my A game, but I'm pretty satisfied with it.

LET'S GET CRACKIN!

1 Sam 1

Hannah was sad because she had no sons. Why was she sad? Because she couldn't provide for her husband who loved her dearly all the same. Hannah was upset by her husband's other wife over this so much that she made a deal with God to get a son. God provides, and holds her to the deal (commit the boy to God for life and never cut his hair). She obeyed and took the boy named Samuel to Eli while he was still a toddler.

So many things to get out of it:
*Hannah's husband should have taken better care of her.
*Be careful of what you ask for and be cautious of what you're willing to do to get it.

1 Sam 2

Hannah prays a praise. Samuel served the Lord by helping Eli. Eli's sons were also priests. They mocked God by stealing sacrifices and sleeping with the women who served in the temple. Eli knew but wouldn't do much to stop their horrible actions. Later, a prophet comes to Eli and tells him that the Lord will punish him and his sons, for he is as guilty as they are. The Lord curses Eli's family and descendants as well.

*The prayer of Hannah is AWESOME!
*We get it already, Samuel served the Lord by helping Eli. It must've said that a dozen times in these few chapters.
*The interesting thing that strikes me about this chapter is the relation of Eli and his sons to us in modern times. Some of our clergy are taking the role of the sons, while we take the role of Eli. We have priests and preachers that are sleeping around, stealing money from the church, and pretty much any other thing that God would look down on. This isn't saying that all clergy do this, but there are still a lot of them that do. We, the laypeople know about much of this dirty deeds that the clergy is doing, and we stand by and watch. Are we just as guilty? Could God not lay the same punishment down for us?

1 Sam 3

Samuel is spoken to by God. But at first, he doesn't know that it is God that is talking to him. Three times he runs into Eli's room thinking the old man is calling for him. Eli finally figures out what is going on and tells Samuel to be still the next time and answer "Yes Lord, your servant is listening." Samuel follows his instructions and listens diligently to what the Lord has to say the next time He speaks. God tells Samuel that he is about to lay his judgment upon Eli and his family. Samuel is shocked and is finally coaxed into telling Eli what the Lord said the next morning. Eli says that if this is God's will, then let it be done.

*I find it interesting here that it seems that God was giving Eli a second chance after he sent his warning with the prophet in chapter two. I also must say that I understand Eli's position of not taking a stand against his sons. Was it wrong? Yes. Did Eli deserve it? Definitely. Can we blame him? Maybe. If you have children, you'd understand. I also remember reading that the punishment for these kinds of actions was death, meaning that Eli would have had to sentence his sons to that fate.
*God spoke to Samuel three times before he realized it was the Lord speaking. We wonder why God doesn't speak to us today? It's because we're not sure what we should listen for, so we ignore it all together.

1 Sam 4

WAR! Israel vs. Philistine. Israel gets the taste slapped out of their mouths in Round 1, so they bring in their wild card: The Ark of the Covenant. But God isn't on their side for Round 2 because well; the Israelite Army was stupid enough to bring the most Holy thing the world has known and tried to use it as a weapon. God was not pleased by this and allowed the Israelite Army to get beat down. Adding insult to injury, the Philistines take the Ark of the Covenant back with them. During the slaughter, two of Eli's sons were killed. A messenger runs and tells Eli about his sons and the Ark, Eli falls, snaps his neck, and dies.

*Not really much going on here, just a point A to point B part of the story. God's threat against Eli begins to be fulfilled.

1 Sam 5

The Philistines return home triumphant and carrying the Ark of God. They take it to Ashdod and place it in a temple next to a statue of Dagon (chief god of the Philistines, although they worshiped many. Dagon's powers resided over rainfall and assuring a bountiful harvest). When they returned in the morning, the statue of Dagon was laying prone in the floor in front of the Ark. They placed him back and the same thing happened the next morning, only Dagon's hands and feet had been severed and were laying at the entrance to the temple. The Lord then struck Ashdod with tumors and they panicked and sent the Ark away. The next two towns that recieved the Ark of the Covenant had the same problems.

*I find it interesting how God tried to show the Philistines that He was more powerful than any God they could worship. The Philistines just never quite got it. They wanted the favor of God on their side in addition to the gods they already had. What they failed to realize is that the God of Israel is the only God we should worship at all.

1 Sam 6

Finally the Philistines decided to test the power of God and sent the Ark away on the back of two cows that had just given birth. The cattle carried the Ark to Beth-shemesh (an Israelite town). The Israelites rejoiced, but God killed 70 of them for trying to look into the Ark of the Covenant. The people of Beth-shemesh sent a message to a neighboring town of Kiriath-Jearim to come and get the Ark.

*The test the Philistines set up for God was a clever and foolish one. Clever because they knew that only God could will two cows that had just given birth away from their calfs and back towards Israel. Foolish because they still needed proof after everything that God had already shown them.
*God will not permit foolishness even from his own people. The Israelites in Beth-shemesh were similar to Thomas the Doubter because even though they knew it was the Ark of God and knew of it's power, they still had to test it.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:39 pm

Did anyone else get anything out of these chapters?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby chad_ghost on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:46 pm

I read this about 6 weeks ago. I would comment more, but it seems like my time is filled to the brim right now, and most of my net time comes at work. I'll try to keep up :) I finished 1 Samuel last week, btw.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:07 pm

Feel free to make any comments you like!
andrwfields
Constable

Postby destros_elite on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:17 pm

Andrew, I really like how you summarized and then listed the key points. I might do mine like that for chapters 13-18.
I think you pretty well hit it on the head. These chapters pretty much speak for themselves.
You know, looking back on the Old Testament and all that the Philistines went through, you would think they would have learned to leave God's people alone and that the God of the Israelites was the ONE TRUE GOD. Foolish...
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Here are some exercpts from my lesson notes. Granted i did not make cititations to the commentaries I used (and probably really should have for some things) but it may bring out a few things. I'm going to qoute Andy's summarries if that's all right.

1 Sam 1
Hannah was sad because she had no sons. Why was she sad? Because she couldn't provide for her husband who loved her dearly all the same. Hannah was upset by her husband's other wife over this so much that she made a deal with God to get a son. God provides, and holds her to the deal (commit the boy to God for life and never cut his hair). She obeyed and took the boy named Samuel to Eli while he was still a toddler.
So many things to get out of it:

*Hannah's husband should have taken better care of her.
*Be careful of what you ask for and be cautious of what you're willing to do to get it.

Eli is unusual in that he is both Judge and High priest.
God may have allowed her womb to be closed but who taunted her? Satan through the other wife. This shows both how satan can use others to upset us and how polygamy doesn't work. Also it should be noted that they should have been going up for 3 festivals.
1 Sam 2
Hannah prays a praise. Samuel served the Lord by helping Eli. Eli's sons were also priests. They mocked God by stealing sacrifices and sleeping with the women who served in the temple. Eli knew but wouldn't do much to stop their horrible actions. Later, a prophet comes to Eli and tells him that the Lord will punish him and his sons, for he is as guilty as they are. The Lord curses Eli's family and descendants as well.

*The prayer of Hannah is AWESOME!
*We get it already, Samuel served the Lord by helping Eli. It must've said that a dozen times in these few chapters.
*The interesting thing that strikes me about this chapter is the relation of Eli and his sons to us in modern times. Some of our clergy are taking the role of the sons, while we take the role of Eli. We have priests and preachers that are sleeping around, stealing money from the church, and pretty much any other thing that God would look down on. This isn't saying that all clergy do this, but there are still a lot of them that do. We, the laypeople know about much of this dirty deeds that the clergy is doing, and we stand by and watch. Are we just as guilty? Could God not lay the same punishment down for us?

Eli's sons: again worthless: "sons of Belial" The priests had the right to the right shoulder and part of the breast. And the fat thereof was to be burned upon the alter. They were demanding parts of the meat that were clearly supposed to go to the offerer.

Samuel was a “Na'ar” this meant that he was still a boy. This word was used for up to 15. He was being Contrasted to the Unfaithful.

Ephod was a preist's garmet.
Meil was the name of the coat that his mom made, it was worn by kings, priest's, princes, and women. It had no seams just a whole for the head and arms and nearly reached the ground. The version for women had sleeves

Eli shouldn't be felt to sorry for. While in the current predicment punishment death he should have punished them and raised them right so they would have made the right choice. You can punish your own kids or let the state do it as adults. That does not mean beating them! maybe not even spanking, but to chastize them when they are wrong.

These sons were driving people away from God, a much greater sin than just the fornication and theft itself.
1 Sam 3
Samuel is spoken to by God. But at first, he doesn't know that it is God that is talking to him. Three times he runs into Eli's room thinking the old man is calling for him. Eli finally figures out what is going on and tells Samuel to be still the next time and answer "Yes Lord, your servant is listening." Samuel follows his instructions and listens diligently to what the Lord has to say the next time He speaks. God tells Samuel that he is about to lay his judgment upon Eli and his family. Samuel is shocked and is finally coaxed into telling Eli what the Lord said the next morning. Eli says that if this is God's will, then let it be done.

*I find it interesting here that it seems that God was giving Eli a second chance after he sent his warning with the prophet in chapter two. I also must say that I understand Eli's position of not taking a stand against his sons. Was it wrong? Yes. Did Eli deserve it? Definitely. Can we blame him? Maybe. If you have children, you'd understand. I also remember reading that the punishment for these kinds of actions was death, meaning that Eli would have had to sentence his sons to that fate.
*God spoke to Samuel three times before he realized it was the Lord speaking. We wonder why God doesn't speak to us today? It's because we're not sure what we should listen for, so we ignore it all together.

Precious meant rare. It did come but seldom. There was no open vision. There had been bits of prophecy before, but Samuel was going to be the first Great prophet, this was a new measure. Hazon is the word used in Hebrew it means sights revealed that transcends the eye of the seer when in an unnatural state.

he is still called a boy (Na'ar)according to Josephus's Antiquities v 10, 4 (Source found within pulpit commentary, most Josephus's works available on Internet, free to view, ) he was 12.(he becomes responsible for his own actions morally)

At this time there was some sort of permanent structure around or perhaps encompassing the tent that we call the tabernacle. It was not a temple, it may have been little more than additional tents.

Verse 11: the words here used for Shocking are the same used when Nebuchadnezzar destroys the temple! In 2 kings 21:12 the same phrase is used discussing that. The sound of the news alone would make ones ears tingle with horror.

I'm probably giving heavy with qouting my notes sorry. the main point i see here is God will use a faithful only willing 12 year old rather than a stubborn High Priest.

1 Sam 4
WAR! Israel vs. Philistine. Israel gets the taste slapped out of their mouths in Round 1, so they bring in their wild card: The Ark of the Covenant. But God isn't on their side for Round 2 because well; the Israelite Army was stupid enough to bring the most Holy thing the world has known and tried to use it as a weapon. God was not pleased by this and allowed the Israelite Army to get beat down. Adding insult to injury, the Philistines take the Ark of the Covenant back with them. During the slaughter, two of Eli's sons were killed. A messenger runs and tells Eli about his sons and the Ark, Eli falls, snaps his neck, and dies.

*Not really much going on here, just a point A to point B part of the story. God's threat against Eli begins to be fulfilled.

Through archeology we have learned that they bury their dead in completely sealed Clay coffins and drank a type of Beer, their mugs were numerous among sites.(the phillistines sound like country boys that love beer and wanna fight?) They also had superior weapons(this is great understatement Iron weapons vs. farm tools) They had 5 major cities w/ govenors that worked like a council.

Verse 3: these were God's people why where they loosing? There use of the arc, was an idea from men, it was to be used as a talisman or charm to gain luck. They believed exposing it to danger would compel God to help them. The arc was present in battles before, but this was at God's command, it was his guidance that they won. Notice the lack of prayer or repentance for their sins.

Verse 18: God's judgment was still not totally fulfilled remember he would eventually remove the priest hood from the family. (Solomon would order this, just read about it with Heather the other day )
1 Sam 5

The Philistines return home triumphant and carrying the Ark of God. They take it to Ashdod and place it in a temple next to a statue of Dagon (chief god of the Philistines, although they worshiped many. Dagon's powers resided over rainfall and assuring a bountiful harvest). When they returned in the morning, the statue of Dagon was laying prone in the floor in front of the Ark. They placed him back and the same thing happened the next morning, only Dagon's hands and feet had been severed and were laying at the entrance to the temple. The Lord then struck Ashdod with tumors and they panicked and sent the Ark away. The next two towns that recieved the Ark of the Covenant had the same problems.

*I find it interesting how God tried to show the Philistines that He was more powerful than any God they could worship. The Philistines just never quite got it. They wanted the favor of God on their side in addition to the gods they already had. What they failed to realize is that the God of Israel is the only God we should worship at all.

Verse 3 Dagon's fall left him prostrate which actually gives the idea of worship. He was inferior to God so God smacked the idol from it's place at his feet.
The removal of the Heads and feet symbolized the de-humanization of this idol. It became just an ugly fish, nothing spiritual to worship. He was their national Deity and they were loyal and would not begin worshiping the God of Israel despite God's display of power.
Verse 6: Emerods are translated either tumor or “an eating ulcer” in the next chapter we learn the connection with mice and it is likely they had the bubonic plague.

1 Sam 6

Finally the Philistines decided to test the power of God and sent the Ark away on the back of two cows that had just given birth. The cattle carried the Ark to Beth-shemesh (an Israelite town). The Israelites rejoiced, but God killed 70 of them for trying to look into the Ark of the Covenant. The people of Beth-shemesh sent a message to a neighboring town of Kiriath-Jearim to come and get the Ark.

*The test the Philistines set up for God was a clever and foolish one. Clever because they knew that only God could will two cows that had just given birth away from their calfs and back towards Israel. Foolish because they still needed proof after everything that God had already shown them.
*God will not permit foolishness even from his own people. The Israelites in Beth-shemesh were similar to Thomas the Doubter because even though they knew it was the Ark of God and knew of it's power, they still had to test it.

baby calfs pulling away from the mothers was a strong depature from their natural behavior. God can work through nature as he had done with the mice.

The most important thing to see in this chapter is that God can forgive Israel and us and give us 2nd chances, but punishment still happens for our actions.

I thought i had lost my post when firefox crashed but it came back, yay!
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Return to Bible Study