1 Samuel Chapters 7 - 12

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

1 Samuel Chapters 7 - 12

Postby andrwfields on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 am

Here is the reading schedule for the week (February 23 - March 1)

Monday 1 Samuel 7
Tuesday 1 Samuel 8
Wednesday 1 Samuel 9
Thursday 1 Samuel 10
Friday 1 Samuel 11
Saturday 1 Samuel 12
Sunday Post Day

Like Des said last week, feel free to read at your own pace. As long as we don't forget to jump on Sunday and post, we'll be doing great!

As always, prayer before and after scripture reading is extremely important. Let God lead you when you read. The results will be life changing. A good tip for those of you new to bible study is to try to set aside a good chunk of uninterrupted time to do your study. Plan it out if you need to!

See you Sunday!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: 1 Samuel Chapters 7 - 12

Postby destros_elite on Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:02 pm

The past 9-days have been SUPER busy for me both at work and church. Needless to say I haven’t been on the board in a while and didn’t get to post about Chapters 1-6, so I am just going to start with 7-12.

Chapter 7.
This Chapter wraps up what happened in chapters 4-6 when the Philistines defeated Israel and took the Ark. I must say that one of my favorite parts is in Chapter 5 when the Philistines take the Ark into the house of Dagon and when they went in early the next morning the statue of Dagon was on its face before the Ark. How cool is that!

Chapter 8.
This chapter is a very important chapter for the entire rest of scripture. Samuel is up in age so he makes his sons judges. But they are ungodly and corrupt so the people of Israel call out for a king, like other nations, ending the Judges. This was not in God’s divine plan for Israel, nevertheless, He permitted it (v. 22). I think we can be reminded that we need to seek the LORD’s divine will for our lives and submit to it rather than follow our own desires and end up settling for second best.

Chapter 9.
Saul meets Samuel . But before that I want to point out one particular verse, verse 21:
“And Saul answered and said, ‘Am not I a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel? And my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? Wherefore then speakest thou so to me?’”.
I find it so amazing that a God so unimaginably powerful and awesome chooses to use the small and insignificant for His purposes (like Jesus being born to a young girl and carpenter in a manger). His ways are certainly higher than my ways!
It is also interesting how God uses the flock to lead Saul where He needs him to be, just at the right time he needs to be there!

Chapter 10.
Saul is anointed by Samuel and shown to Israel. If you have studied about Saul any, I find it interesting to look at who he was at the beginning of his reign as compared to who he was at the end, but we will save that for another study…

Chapter 11.
Saul is made king (v. 15). Saul saves the people of Jabeshgilead when they call for help. The Ammonites come against them, but give them seven days to find someone to save them. Saul recruits an army to save them and defeats the Ammonites.

Chapters 12.
Samuel gives the people warning of what will happen if they fail to obey the LORD and if their king fails to obey the LORD. He also has to remind them of all the God has done for them and their fathers. How quickly do we, too, forget what the LORD has done for us?
One key verse for me is verse 23:
“Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you; but I will teach you the good and the right way:”.
I keep this verse in my heart as I raise my daughter and serve the LORD at church, whether when I work with the youth or fill the pulpit (which I have been blessed to do quite a lot recently). Ceasing to pray or ceasing to do anything we know is the right thing to do IS sin. James 4:17 says:
“Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin”.
As Christians, we commit the sin of omission more so that sins of commission. It is vitally important that we remain obedient to the LORD, tuned in to His will in our everyday lives, and do as He leads…
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby andrwfields on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:01 am

I'll have mine up tonight. Long weekend.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:27 am

I'm definitely going to try and post mine tonight.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Procrastinators Unite! Tomorrow...

Seems to be my crowd this week. Lol. Here it is, finally:

1 Sam 7

The Ark stays put up in Kiriath-joarim for 20 years. Israel is upset and Sam says that if they want God back, they have to give up all other gods and ask forgiveness. The all gather in Mizpah and the Philistines attack. God defends Israel and the Philistines are defeated for quite some time. Much of Israel is restored and Samuel sets up home camp in Ramah.

*In 7:4 it says the Israelites got rid of their images of Baal & Ashtoreth. Have we heard these names before? Try Judges, Samuel, and 1 Kings for starters…

1 Sam 8

Sam gets old and he appoints his sons to be judges over Israel. His two oldest held court in Beersheba. They weren’t like dad though, and they took bribes and whatever else they could to turn a fast buck. The elders of Israel met up with Sam and told him that his boys were unruly and that Israel was ready for a king. Sam talks it over with God and God tells him to go with it. He says that Israel isn’t doing it because they hate Sam, but because they hate God. God tells Sam to warn Israel about what they’re doing, and Sam follows. Sam tells them about all the bad things a king would do to them, but they don’t care.

*Why is it that Sam gets away squeaky clean where Eli did not? They both are Judges of Israel who appoint their sons to take up their mantles in their old age. The sons grow corrupt with power and the dads do nothing about it. The difference is here in that when God comes to Eli, He tells him that Eli is a lazy father and he’ll be punished for his sons’ bad behavior; but when God comes to Sam, He practically says, “It’s not YOU. It’s THEM…” My study bible tries to explain this away with a shrug, and then moves on to parenting techniques, but there is something fishy going on here…

1 Sam 9

We’ll skip all the “the son of blah, who was born to yadda yadda, from wheres-it-at” stuff and get straight to the point. Saul was from the tribe of Benjamin, least of all the tribes of Israel and seldom thought of. Saul was said to be a handsome man. (Not sure why that’s important). Saul’s father sends him and one of his servants to find three donkeys that have went missing and it leads them to Sam’s town. They get the idea to find “the seer” (prophet) of the town and ask him about the donkeys. God had told Sam that he would meet Saul that day and that he would be the new king of Israel. As Saul and his servant meet Sam, they are invited to go to dinner with him and sit in the honored guest’s chair. Sam invites Saul to stay the night and the next day he sends the servant ahead and speaks with Saul. Sam tells Saul that he is to be the rescuer of Israel and that his father’s donkeys are safe and sound at home.

*This struck me as the “secret agent” side of Sam. He is very secretive but friendly to Saul until the time is right to tell Saul what his destiny is.

1 Sam 10

Sam anoints Saul with olive oil and tells him that God has appointed him to be the ruler over his most prized possession. Sam tells Saul that when he leaves him he will find two men who report the donkeys are safe but now his father is worried about him. He also says that he will meet a band of prophets and Saul will begin to prophesy with them. The spirit of the Lord will come over Saul greatly then. After that, Saul will have to wait for seven days to meet up with Sam. Saul goes out and all of these things are fulfilled. Sam calls all of Israel back to Mizpah and delivers another message from God. After that, he says they should organize by tribes and clans. One by one, Saul singles out the groups. First calling the tribe of Benjamin, then the family of Matrites, and finally Saul. But Saul was hiding in the baggage! They bring him out and Sam announces him as the new king of Israel to his people. Sam sets out the rights and duties of a king and presents it to the Lord. Saul leaves with a group of people called by God, and some others who simply go to mock them and Saul. Saul pays them no mind. [There is also a very short side story about Nahash, king of the Ammonites. Nahash had been holding some of the Israelites hostage in his kingdom and it is reported that he gouged out the right eyes of those people. 7,000 people escaped and settled in Jabesh-gilead.]

*These past couple of chapters have been very reminiscent of the story of Christ when he was first baptized. Technically, I would have to say that Jesus’ story is reminiscent of this!

1 Sam 11

The Nahash story comes full circle. Nahash goes to Jabesh-gilead with his army to invade. The people there plead for a treaty and Nahash agrees on one condition, they all have to get their right eye gouged out to disgrace Israel. The people ask for seven days time to see if anyone will rescue them and Nahash agrees again. When the messengers reach Gibeah (Saul’s town) and tell the story, everyone starts crying. Saul doesn’t see what the problem is, and then God comes over Saul like spinach comes over Popeye. Saul gets angry, cuts up oxen, and uses it as a message that all of Israel must mobilize or the same fate will happen to their oxen. Saul gets 300,000 men from Israel and 30,000 men from Judah. Saul sends a message to Jabesh saying they’ll be there by noon the next day, but he gets there early and uses the time to launch a surprise attack againt the Ammorites. Nahash’s army is slaughtered. The people rejoice and then demand to kill the people who mocked Saul. Saul backs them off, and they travel to Gilgal. There he goes through a ceremony to become their king.

*What is it with gouging out the right eye of people? What does that do for anyone?
*Saul seems to be a pansy until God gets hold of him. I think this is a theme of his kingship.
*Saul is kind enough to spare those who mock him, twice. Good quality or weakness? Don’t forget this is OT biblical times we’re talking about here.

1 Sam 12

Sam addresses Israel again. He first points out how he has been faithful to them and to God. They affirm this and Sam states that his hands are clean as he steps down as the leader of Israel. He talks about how Israel has sinned against God several times and how God has never abandoned them. Sam tells the people that if they remember that God is the true king and that they don’t disobey any of his rules, they’ll be fine. He warns them not to return to worshipping idols and all other manor of sin. He asks God to send rain and thunder (it was not the season for these things) to prove His power. When the storm breaks, the people ask Sam and God for their forgiveness. Sam lastly states that he will not sin against God by ending his prayers for them.

*I think Samuel is an interesting character. The beginning of his speech sounds a little personally bitter against Israel, especially when he wants it known that his hands are clean. In the end though, he is still faithful to God and his people.
*How great is it to have assurance that no matter what you do or how bad you screw up, God will help when you ask Him?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:08 pm

One question was raised yesterday after I re-read all of this stuff:

In ch. 12, Sam says his hands are clean of all of it and that he has been a faithful servant. Yet Sam and Eli shared similar stories in their sons, and Eli was charged as guilty for it. What makes them different? Why mention Sam's sons at all if it had no relevance?
andrwfields
Constable

Return to Bible Study