2 John

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

2 John

Postby andrwfields on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:52 pm

Suggested Reading Schedule:

This "book" is only one chapter, as is 3 John. These two books should be done in one week.

Some versions available to read at Bible Gateway:

King James Version
New International Version
English Standard Version
New Living Translation

Let's make quick work of this!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: 2 John

Postby andrwfields on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:11 pm

General Thoughts Before Reading

I really hope that this isn’t as hard to read through as 1 John. However, it is the same author, so I don’t expect it to be much easier. One thing nice about it though is that it’s only one chapter. If anything, this book will go quickly!

The only chapter

This message is extremely short, sweet, and to the point. John addresses this letter to “the elect lady” which I understand to be a church. He ends the letter saying that the “children” of “her” “elect sister” send their greetings. From the 1 John, we learn that John addresses his congregation as “little children.”

John, once again, stresses the importance of loving one another in this book. However, he does caution against being open to people who do not profess Jesus as the propitiation of our sins. He also cautions against welcoming missionaries who would preach alternate versions of what Christ did for us.

General Thoughts After Reading

This might be the easiest book that I’ve studied so far, even though that is hard to comprehend. I think the length and confusion I experienced in 1 John acted as a primer for me to understand 2 John. Also, the short length was quite nice. The thing I liked most about this book was the fact that John ended it saying he would much rather talk in person. It let me know that even in their old age, the apostles were still on the move, spreading the word about Jesus.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Return to Bible Study