3 John

Join us as we explore the wonders and the mysteries of the Good Book. The greatest part about studying this book is that you get to know the Author! This forum is open to the public.

Moderator: andrwfields

3 John

Postby andrwfields on Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 pm

Suggested Reading Schedule:

This "book" is only one chapter, as is 2 John. These two books should be done in one week.

Some versions available to read at Bible Gateway:

King James Version
New International Version
English Standard Version
New Living Translation

This should be easy!
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: 3 John

Postby andrwfields on Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:33 pm

General Thoughts Before Reading

1 John was one of the hardest books of the New Testament that I’ve had to read through. John’s writing style and thought processes are so scattered that it was hard to follow. However, 2 John was much easier to read. I’m very interested to see what he had to say in this last letter. The topics so far have covered loving one another, walking in the “light” of God, and protecting ourselves against false teachings. This should be a good one.

The only chapter

I am immediately intrigued by this letter because it is the only one not written to a congregation, but instead to a specific person; Gaius. It seems that John might have known Gaius before he was a Christian, as he rejoices to hear that Gaius is now, “walking in the truth.”

John starts off, after greeting Gaius, by telling him to send out brothers to tell the truth. This is another call for missionaries. It is possible that John had started to really age too much to do a lot of traveling himself, and was now relying on the next generation of Christians to spread the Gospel.

Diotrephes is causing trouble from within Gaius’ church. John sounds like he might actually travel to the church to nip this problem in the bud. Already, there were detractors from the original teachings of Christ,and Diotrephes was one of them. He was clearly against missionaries going out to spread the Gospel.

It also seems like John is cautioning Gaius of “fighting fire with fire,” meaning he does not want him to do evil things to cast out the evil that [Diotrephes] is spreading through the church. John uses the courier, Demetrius to collect testimonies of the Gospel from himself and other churches to bring to Gaius as aid in his cause.

Once again, John closes by saying he would much rather talk in person. This apostle was once again on the move!

General Thoughts After Reading

I think I enjoyed this letter the best of all three of the “Johns.” This letter is not only a sermon, but it provides practical advice to a fellow Christian about people who act against us. The words written in this letter are as useful today as they were then.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Return to Bible Study