G.I. Joe ARAH M.I.A.

This is for general GI Joe chat, whether it be RAH or JvC, or even Action Force or other military lines, the battle begins here.

G.I. Joe ARAH M.I.A.

Postby Elite_Stormtrooper on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:07 am

Ive been looking around in stores for GI Joe toys and everywhere I go all I find are The Rise of Cobra line. Im not really interested in them and they are either restocking rather fast or other people are not interested either since the shelves are packed. I really would like ARAH back on the shelves. I hope Hasbro hasnt given up on the line by replacing it with TROC. Anyone know if ARAH will be reinstated?
Elite_Stormtrooper

Re: G.I. Joe ARAH M.I.A.

Postby RevSears on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:25 am

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but Pursuit of Cobra (in the movieverse) is next. All we will get is sprinkled fan stuff through out.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Yep, ARAH is on indefinite leave. I wouldn't be surprised to see a cartoon or other media presented in 2010 to support the Pursuit of Cobra line.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Elite_Stormtrooper on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Argh! That is bad news. I love GI Joe but I cannot drum up enough interest in this movieverse. I feel like GI Joe has gone the route of Star Wars when Episode 1 came out, a great genre reduced to a dumbed down kiddieverse. Maybe with luck, Sommers will be court ordered to stay away from the sequel. They can start the sequel with Hawk having a nightmare via clips from TROC and waking up screaming.
Elite_Stormtrooper

Postby RevSears on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Honestly it has mostly Killed joe to me. I mean if a toon comes i'll give it a try, but with high figure prices and such an awful movie, I've moved on to gaming. I can more bang for my buck, it's more socially acceptable, and the stories aren't all kidified.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 pm

The 25th Line was great, but the ROC stuff...not so much. I agree with all of you. I loved the movie when I saw it in the theater in August. But I watched it this past weekend on DVD for my first viewing since then and have to say it is really not a good movie. I was just all hyped back in August, I guess. :wink: I'm just glad that I got into the ARAH 25th Line when I did.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:18 am

I'm very thankful for the memories and that's mostly what the 25th line was for.

A few Roc figs are very cool like Helix, Destro, artic Se etc. But i can't get past the story or sci-fi look to most of them. some of the POC figures look great (snow job for example) but they just feel wrong to me mostly. I lost connection with them.
RevSears

Postby Elite_Stormtrooper on Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:57 pm

I still have a healthy interest in GI Joe due to being reintroduced to them recently via the Review Guys. I cant say I hated the movie while I watched it, it was exciting and lots of eye candy special effects, but Im with you, after the smoke cleared, a heavy disappointment of what might have been, should have been, set in. The movie for me was essentially an adapation of the cartoon series. The only similarity I can think offhand with the Marvel run is a connection between Storm Shadow and Snake-Eyes, which was portrayed inaccurately, and calling GI Joe HQ, the Pit, which was also portrayed inaccurately. When I heard the movie was in production, I was beyond excited. I had imagined the movie starting off with a meeting between Cobra and Al-Queda, with Cobra Commander and Cobra troopers meeting with Osama Bin Laden and some of his taliban fighters somewhere in Afghanistan/Pakistan. Osama tries to double cross the Commander which leads to the taliban getting massacred. And then with Storm Shadow's sword at Osama's throat, Cobra Commander orders his ninja to stand down. When Osama asks why he was spared, the Commander explains as long as the US searches for him, Cobra can slither on by undetected. I think a real opportunity was missed when GI Joe: TROC decided to ignore the current war on terror, a central theme of GI Joe, and stayed within a cartoonish bubble.
I know this is off-topic, I was wondering if there was any fan fic involving the exploits of Mayor, Sidewinder and Ghost. Maybe one that reveals how Ghost is really a deep cover Crimson Guardsman infilitrating the Joe ranks...
Elite_Stormtrooper

Postby Matthew on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:11 pm

I don't have any problems with Joe going sci-fi. That's what it was back in 82. Laser Cannon (HAL) and VAMP (pre-cusor to the Hummer) were all futuristic at the time. Laser troopers? Science fiction for sure. But they were also still military, which is something that I do think lacked. If anyone has seen Avatar you understand how well military and sci-fi can mix.

I'm going to give the future the benefit of the doubt. If Hasbro can get the kids on board there may be hope. The original cartoon is not really that good IMHO. I loved it as a kid and it does have it's nostalgia factor, but it's not something I'll watch as an adult. But it sold a ton of toys (and really is still selling toys). It was a commercial more or less. The new movie is really more of the same. Hasbro doesn't consider themselves a toy company anymore; they are a licensing company, which means it all comes down to $$$$. Transformers 2 was a bad film, but made way too much money. I'm sure everyone involved considered it a success.

I'm holding out hope that the majority of the movies that came out in the summer of 2009 were due to "writer strike scripts." Guess we will find out when Terminator 5, Transformers 3, and GI Joe 2 come out.

Oh yeah, to answer your question, there isn't any fan fics (that I know of) including Ghost, Mayor, and Sidewinder. Me and Sidewinder have written filecards for ourselves, and Chad has his in his head :D
Matthew
The Mayor

Return to Joes & more