Top 5 GI Joe Marvel comics

This is for general GI Joe chat, whether it be RAH or JvC, or even Action Force or other military lines, the battle begins here.

Top 5 GI Joe Marvel comics

Postby JustinCredible on Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:50 am

What are your top 5 GI Joe Marvel comics? (Any title: ARAH, Special Mission, and the Transformers, European Missions, etc.)
JustinCredible

Re: Top 5 GI Joe Marvel comics

Postby destros_elite on Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 am

Issue 21 (Silent Issue...no list is complete without this masterpiece :D )
Issue 51 (Story isn't the best, but it's the first comic I ever purchased)
Issues 73-76 (Cobra Civil War...The best story ever told in the G.I. Joe Mythos in my opinion. Plus the cool map of Cobra Island included in the back of each issue :D )
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:11 am

It's hard to pick out 5 specific issues off the top of my head.

#21, like DE said, it's a masterpiece. I really appreciate it so much more for a few reasons. After hearing Hama talk about the process, my perspective on the book changed a lot. Amazing what a short deadline can do :D. Secondly, seeing how other Silent Issues just don't stand up to this one makes me appreciate it more.

One story arc sticks out to me as well, not sure what issues or how many, but it's the one where Zartan pretends to be Ripcord and they have a battle on Cobra Island. Never cared for Ripcord until this issue, now I really like him :D.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Matthew wrote:One story arc sticks out to me as well, not sure what issues or how many, but it's the one where Zartan pretends to be Ripcord and they have a battle on Cobra Island. Never cared for Ripcord until this issue, now I really like him :D.

Man! I forgot about that one! You all did an awesome review on it, too, on the podcast. I think it is issues 45-50.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby destros_elite on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:18 pm

The story leading upto the Battle of Springfield was really good.
The more I re-read the Marvel run, the more I love the stuff up until about issue 115 or so. For me, that was the point that it got all weird and ubber-Hasbro-ey.
But issue 155 was terrific.
destros_elite

Return to Joes & more