Cobra Civil War (IDW)

This is for general GI Joe chat, whether it be RAH or JvC, or even Action Force or other military lines, the battle begins here.

Cobra Civil War (IDW)

Postby destros_elite on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:12 am

Anyone keeping up with the Cobra Civil War? I have thus far, but now will only be doing so through the main title. I HATE it when you have to pick up numerous titles to get the whole story (Marvel is famous for this). I'm hoping I can get the main jest of the story from the main title. When IDW started out with three Joe titles, they did not connect, though they were in the same continuity. I didn't mind that as you could pick and choose your issues to read. But at the end of the "season" they brought them all together. So if you want the full Civil War story, prepare to fork over $12.00/month. No thanks! This is one reason I am enjoying the resurrection (if you will) of the Marvel Joe run by Hama. it is self-contained and $4/month gets me the entire story. Astonishing X-Men and Transformers are two other titles I subscribe to for that very reason. Anyone else have an issue with having to pick up numerous issues to get a story?
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Re: Cobra Civil War (IDW)

Postby Matthew on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 am

I'm not following it either. I still haven't read all of the original Marvel run. Hopefully we can get time to review some more. I ask for the Trade paper backs for gift occassions (Christmas, Birthday, etc) of the Marvel stuff and I also ask for the new ARAH series. I got volume 2 for my birthday.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:27 pm

I stopped reading IDW when I wasn't getting all the comics through my shop. I'm missing issues here and there, though the store was to reorder them for me. So, of course, I stopped reading. I almost feel like stopping with their continuity and sticking with Hama. I'm sure I would be happier.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby JustinCredible on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:20 am

I get all the Joe titles no matter the price. I'm a completeist when it comes to the books, so I guess I'm more of the target audience. I think the Civil War is an interesting concept, but I think they haven't quite delivered what most Joe fans are looking for. They're killing off too many main stream characters in my opinion, thinning the herd if you will. On the other hand I do enjoy the "continuation" of the Marvel run. I do in a way wish they left it alone because I think the Image/Devils Due run was a great continuation and this kind of messes with the story. All in all I will always buy Joe when it comes to the comics.
JustinCredible

Postby destros_elite on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:57 pm

JustinCredible wrote: I do in a way wish they left it alone because I think the Image/Devils Due run was a great continuation and this kind of messes with the story. All in all I will always buy Joe when it comes to the comics.

I agree. I think WW III was a great ending to the entire run (though the last few chapters of WWIII were obviously rushed both story wise and art wise). All in all, the 155 + run is fun and that is what G.I. Joe should be.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby JustinCredible on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:00 pm

destros_elite wrote: I agree. I think WW III was a great ending to the entire run (though the last few chapters of WWIII were obviously rushed both story wise and art wise). All in all, the 155 + run is fun and that is what G.I. Joe should be.

Exactly what I was thinking of. I think they could've pushed WWIII at least another 10-20 issues. There were a lot of great characters and sub plots in that storyline and in those books period. I completely agree 155+ is fun and that Joe should be. I hope we never lose the fun no matter how "serious" the line wants to get. Hopefully whoever continues publishing the line in the years to come never loses sight of what it is.
JustinCredible

Postby RevSears on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:21 am

It's precisely because I liked DDP and WWIII that I can't pick up Hama's book. Okay... the return of the brain scanner didn't help... or sneak peek...

As much as I loved the original Cobra book, IDW felt to sci-fi, and alien to me. To many needless new joes, there never seemed to be a good solid starting point to hook me.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:47 pm

JustinCredible wrote: Exactly what I was thinking of. I think they could've pushed WWIII at least another 10-20 issues.

I was fine with the length of WWIII. My problem was that in reading it you could tell when they determined the run would end and from that point on the art and story went down hill. it is was like the writer and artist just wanted to get it done.
Now, three or four "Frontline" -like issues to fill in some gaps and perhaps go deeper into some characters would have been nice.
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 am

It's really hard to determine if it was the writers who were rushed or were rushing the story. I tend to have a blame hasbro attitude. I know at least one special missions, a prision break! was planned, as well as more issues of stormshadow. The stormshadow ongoing was just an amazing idea, it wasn't pefect in execution, but i was excited as to where it could have went. I still love the fact Stormshadow got the first Joe solo book, not snake-eyes!
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby JustinCredible on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:09 am

RevSears wrote:It's really hard to determine if it was the writers who were rushed or were rushing the story. I tend to have a blame hasbro attitude. I know at least one special missions, a prision break! was planned, as well as more issues of stormshadow. The stormshadow ongoing was just an amazing idea, it wasn't pefect in execution, but i was excited as to where it could have went. I still love the fact Stormshadow got the first Joe solo book, not snake-eyes!

I'm sure hasbro took the reigns back in one sense or another. There were so many roads not taken because of that I' sure. Storm Shadow was a great title, the Special Missions had promise to be soooo much more, the Declassifieds gave us great glimpes into the minds of certain characters but could've been so much more. I believe that DDP had a greater understanding of where the brand needed to go. IDW is doing a good job, but can make it soo much more. If somehow IDW can tie it all together between the Marvel run and the DDP run I will have a greater appreciation for the work they've put in.
JustinCredible

Return to Joes & more