Technology is Beautiful!

For discussions outside the other threads, this is the forum for you. Anything from other hobbies, politics, movies, television, to even your job can be talked about, just as long as it is not incoherent.

Technology is Beautiful!

Postby andrwfields on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:23 pm

I just wanted to say that it is an amazing thing that I can have a thin piece of plastic melded with metal and use it to connect to anyone on any device at any time.

I've got a Razr from AT&T with unlimited texting. It has to be the best technological thing that I've got in a long time. I can message Amber, post to my LiveJournal, send an email, and vote for something completely stupid on a show that I don't even care about with just a few strokes of a keypad!

Wonderful! :idea:
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby JustAGrl on Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:37 pm

Yeah, I have no idea how I survived without a cell phone before I had one.
JustAGrl

Postby camper on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:06 pm

We've got one of those cingular go phones, costs us like $100 over the course of the year, and that's only if we decide to put money on it. Only for emergencies and for when I do my one weekend a month for the guard, so I can check on the wife and kids without paying .50 a minute from the hotel phone.

It doesn't play MP3's, it can't browse the web, can't get my email, and I don't text message anyone.

I hate cell phones and other overpriced web enabled gadgets. I also think that cell phones are going to be responsible for the downfall of society, but that's just me though. ;)

When I worked IT up in Mass I had a cell phone, pager, and laptop that I had to carry with me everywhere. If Blackberry's were as affordable then as they are now, I'd have had one of those too.

I like that nobody can reach me when I'm in the grocery store. I like that I don't have to keep the radio low so I can hear the cell if it rings when I'm driving. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about whether I have a signal or not, or how good it is.

Sometimes it's nice to be left alone from people you're not really wanting to talk to anyway.... :twisted:

dan
camper

Postby andrwfields on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:11 pm

I have a solution for that too Dan. Silent Mode. :lol:
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Darko on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 pm

camper wrote:We've got one of those cingular go phones, costs us like $100 over the course of the year, and that's only if we decide to put money on it. Only for emergencies and for when I do my one weekend a month for the guard, so I can check on the wife and kids without paying .50 a minute from the hotel phone.

It doesn't play MP3's, it can't browse the web, can't get my email, and I don't text message anyone.

I hate cell phones and other overpriced web enabled gadgets. I also think that cell phones are going to be responsible for the downfall of society, but that's just me though. ;)

When I worked IT up in Mass I had a cell phone, pager, and laptop that I had to carry with me everywhere. If Blackberry's were as affordable then as they are now, I'd have had one of those too.

I like that nobody can reach me when I'm in the grocery store. I like that I don't have to keep the radio low so I can hear the cell if it rings when I'm driving. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about whether I have a signal or not, or how good it is.

Sometimes it's nice to be left alone from people you're not really wanting to talk to anyway.... :twisted:

dan

Yes, yes, a thousand times, yes. I have one of those Cingular go-phones for emergencies, too, but cell phones drive me crazy. My favorite example of how people let cell phones replace their social skills is as follows.

My wife and I were at church a few Sundays back, and it was the middle of the sermon. Someone's cell phone goes off. Okay, that's bad enough, but it happens, and usually the person just looks really embarrassed and hastily turns off their phone. Not this guy! This guy lets it ring about five times, then answers it! In the middle of church! He then proceeds to start having a conversation. Then, and this is my favorite part, he apparently gets tired of everyone glaring at him, so he gets up and starts walking towards the door that leads to the bathroom. "Okay," I'm thinking, "he's still incredibly rude, but at least he's taking it elsewhere." WRONG! Instead of walking the extra ten feet to get out of the sanctuary, he opens one of the confessionals and steps in there. THAT IS A CONFESSIONAL, NOT A REALLY ORNATE PHONE BOOTH! And, of course, he leaves the door open, so, due to the acoustics of the confessional booth, the sound of his prattling conversation is actually thrown out towards us LOUDER than it was before. Finally, he tells the person, "Well, I'm at church, so I guess I should go." hangs up and returns to his pew.

........then, 10 minutes later, he gets another call! And takes it again! Thankfully, this time he decided to go all the way out of the sanctuary. The next week we ran a lengthy "Why it is rude to use your cell phone in church" column in the bulletin, which did include the line, "We shouldn't have to tell you this, but...." And the worst part was, this wasn't some punk kid with no concept of decorum. No, this guy was late middle aged!

Again, I hate cell phones.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby JustAGrl on Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:03 pm

camper wrote:We've got one of those cingular go phones, costs us like $100 over the course of the year, and that's only if we decide to put money on it. Only for emergencies and for when I do my one weekend a month for the guard, so I can check on the wife and kids without paying .50 a minute from the hotel phone.

dan

I find it truly amazing how you can get by without a cell phone. Seriously, that is really cool. I wish I could. LOL

If I leave the house without mine I feel naked. If I didn't TM then I wouldn't keep in touch with half of my friends. My cell phone is a Sony one with a FM radio, MP3 player, and camera built into it. I use it to look up movie times or check the weather if I am out and about. Plus I rarely ever answer my home phone or check messages. Last time I checked there were messages on there from a few months ago. :oops:
JustAGrl

Postby lobo on Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:26 pm

My favorite is the "crazy people walking around the store talking to themselves"... Oh, wait, he/she just has a headset for the phone... :lol:
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby andrwfields on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:02 pm

To add to the list of useless things I can do with my phone that makes me laugh inside are: updating my Facebook, getting updates from MySpace, and talking on MSN.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby JustAGrl on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:50 pm

andrwfields wrote:To add to the list of useless things I can do with my phone that makes me laugh inside are: updating my Facebook, getting updates from MySpace, and talking on MSN.

If you are on Facebook do you playt Scrabulous???

If so you should add me as a friend so I can beat you. :lol:
JustAGrl

Postby andrwfields on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm on Facebook, but Scrabulous I have not added.

Add me on there though. I'm listed under Andy Fields and I'm in the Lexington, KY network.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby JustAGrl on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:23 pm

andrwfields wrote:I'm on Facebook, but Scrabulous I have not added.

Add me on there though. I'm listed under Andy Fields and I'm in the Lexington, KY network.

You have been added. :)
JustAGrl

Postby andrwfields on Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:26 pm

I see that!

Thanks! :)
andrwfields
Constable

Postby tigerguy786 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:05 pm

andrwfields wrote:I'm on Facebook, but Scrabulous I have not added.

consider yourself added
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send and who will go before us?"
Then said I, "Here am I, send me." Isaiah 6:8
tigerguy786

Return to Entertainment