I took the plunge.....

For discussions outside the other threads, this is the forum for you. Anything from other hobbies, politics, movies, television, to even your job can be talked about, just as long as it is not incoherent.

I took the plunge.....

Postby camper on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm a movie & DVD junkie. When we sold our house last summer, one of the things I insisted on getting was an HD TV. In the back of my mind, was always the idea of getting an HD-DVD or Blu Ray player to take full advantage of it.

Well, with all the rebates, all the free offers, and all the sales, I couldn't help but take one of them up. Of course, it means choosing between the red and the blu, HD-DVD vs Blu Ray. I know the pros and cons of both, and there are things I love about each. I also know that when it comes down to it, it isn't a format war but a content war.

"What movies do you want?" becomes the question that needed to be asked. So, I made my choice and I am standing by my decision in hopes I made the right one.

I chose Blu Ray.

Yeah, I'm crazy for being an early adopter on technology that could easily be the losing side of a 'war' of stubbornness, but to be honest I really think Blu Ray will win so I've picked a side. They have more films I want (Disney, Fox & Sony make up most of my favorite films) and since Warner Brothers is making both, it looks pretty good. I keep hearing rumblings that Warner might jump to Blu Ray only, and take Universal with them; but I also hear that Warner might jump to HD DVD and take Disney along.

Regardless of all that, I have to say we plugged in the new Pirates last night, and wow. I didn't think "6 times better" would be that clear. It's not like going from VHS to DVD, but for someone like me that cares it's awesome.

I got a samsung player from Amazon, comes with the 5 everyone else gets but Samsung is offering 3 more free if bought by the end of December.

I'm sure nobody here really cares, but...I had to tell somebody and my wife is sick of hearing about it :P

Anyone want to take bets whether I made the right choice, or the wrong one? In January at CES any big annoucnements will be made, and then you'll here a sigh of relief or a scream in frustration from my neck of the woods ;)

dan (impatience got the best of me)
camper

Postby Matthew on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:29 pm

Good for you Dan. I don't have an HDTV, so I'm going to continue to hold out :D.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby Wowboy on Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:37 pm

I still use rabbit ears on a TV I bought when I was in 6th grade to watch football games :/

Someday...
Wowboy

Return to Entertainment