College Bowl games

For discussions outside the other threads, this is the forum for you. Anything from other hobbies, politics, movies, television, to even your job can be talked about, just as long as it is not incoherent.

College Bowl games

Postby Rockpop on Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:59 pm

Anyone keeping up? I thought this would be a boring bowl season, but there have been a few good surprises.

SEC power starting to wane?

Big 12 returning to powerhouse status?

How 'bout dem Mountaineers?!
Rockpop
aka Solo

Postby Chuck Norris on Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:50 pm

I was really surprised at the Michigan / Florida game, really thought Florida would have handled them. The Georgia/Hawaii game was interesting to see the highlights.

I'll take LSU tonight by 4

LSU 24

OSU 20
Chuck Norris
does not sleep. He waits.

Postby Wowboy on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:10 pm

I think the Big XII is definately returning to powerhouse status, but I think it's the teams that have traditionally been second tier that are gaining ground. Mizzou has a good program now, and I think Kansas is here to stay, and Oklahoma State's program is getting stronger due to the massive, billion dollar donation that has revitalized the campus. If Nebraska can turn things around and Texas Tech can keep improving, I think you are going to see one of them knock off Texas and Oklahoma as the perennial Big XII national contenders.
Wowboy

Postby Rockpop on Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:25 pm

I'll take LSU by 7, 28-21.
I'd even say one of OSUs TDs is a defensive score. I still think OSU deserves to be in the title game, but LSUs defense is just too much.

Mizzou does look to be in better shape. Oklahoma State, I don't know. Coach seems a little volatile. Kansas...I'll have to see one or two more seasons like this year. They did well, but I was not too impressed in Orange Bowl. VT played like they have all year. I still say VT is way too overrated this season. But that is a whole other argument.

Michigan has to be the biggest surprise for me. The front 4 dominated Florida's o-line. I have not seen that in several years. I kind of like the Sooners, but I'm happy for WVU. But they made a mistake promoting the coach.
Rockpop
aka Solo

Postby Wowboy on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:07 pm

Solo wrote:Oklahoma State, I don't know. Coach seems a little volatile.

Other than his much publicized "blow-up," Gundy has been pretty solid all season. That blow up was actually pretty calculated. The reported he was throwing a fit about was mocking a benched quarterback for eating chicken with his mother after a game. Add to it that the kid was suffering from depression and was ridiculed on campus and off for being benched and turning to his mother following the article, and you have a situation where the coach wanted to do something to help the kid out. I'm not sure I would have handled it the same way, but you have to admit he got the media focused on him and not the kid.
Wowboy

Postby Rockpop on Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:10 am

Other than his much publicized "blow-up," Gundy has been pretty solid all season. That blow up was actually pretty calculated. The reported he was throwing a fit about was mocking a benched quarterback for eating chicken with his mother after a game. Add to it that the kid was suffering from depression and was ridiculed on campus and off for being benched and turning to his mother following the article, and you have a situation where the coach wanted to do something to help the kid out. I'm not sure I would have handled it the same way, but you have to admit he got the media focused on him and not the kid.

Interesting, I didn't know the whole story. The last impression I had was the reporter was trying to make a name for herself. I like to see emotion from coaches when handling their players sometimes, but you're right, not sure I would have handled it the same way. Hopefully the kid has been or will be vindicated. There's more pressure on college players each year. There needs to be more pressure on coaches to at least play out the season, through the bowl games.

Which brings me to ask: do we need a "minor league" system in football? I guess there's pros and cons. It could help player development. And maybe even set up a system of controlled pay for rookies. It's tough to see my money that I've paid to support my nfl team get spent on unproven rookies.

There's also the debate of a playoff system in div 1-A. There's too much money tied up in bowl games, so I doubt anything will change soon. Almost half of div 1-A plays in bowl games now. I guess that's why I think boredom and mediocrity are starting to set in, with me anyway.
Rockpop
aka Solo

Return to Entertainment