are we in the last days? really?

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

are we in the last days? really?

Postby RevSears on Wed May 06, 2009 2:46 am

Just thought I'd toss a question out there. I tend to think we are but why? shouldn't every generation of Christians think this? of course this does open up the whole rapture and meaning of revelation question as well. I know a lot of people cited the European union and the formation of one global currency coming about through the euro, but hasn't that movement slowed down?
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: are we in the last days? really?

Postby chad_ghost on Wed May 06, 2009 12:02 pm

Our country, though not part of the prophecy, has really slipped away from Christianity. That is the big sign for me, especially on top of everything else that has happened in the last 100 years.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Wed May 06, 2009 12:19 pm

Several other things. Israel becoming a nation again (1940s). Israel regaining Jerusalem (1970s). The forming of the United Nations (1940s). Couple that with the social acceptance of science over faith. Our society is pushing faith out of everything that they can. We, as a country, are definitely pushing away from Christianity.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby camper on Wed May 06, 2009 1:13 pm

RevSears wrote:I know a lot of people cited the European union and the formation of one global currency coming about through the euro, but hasn't that movement slowed down?

I don't think it's slowed down at all, and I think the current 'economic crisis' will do more for pushing a central government than anything else. Everything doesn't need to be finalized and finished in order for Christ will return (whever that is) but having everything at the point and time where it can happen quickly certainly lends credence to the 'any moment' scenario.

Regardless of how you feel about it from a political perspective, there has been a MASSIVE amount of 'change' in the past 6 months which have resulted in trillions of taxpayer dollars being taken from the people and dolled out by the government to corporations in a whirlwind of legislation--much of which was only available for 24 hours before it was signed into law. The government has shown that is has the ability to move swiftly and with unprecedented speed in order to get things signed under the threat of 'something bad' happening.

We saw the Patriot Act get passed, which allows the gov to bypass the constitution, and we now see DHS labelling anyone who supports Ron Paul or any 3rd party candidate, is a member of the constitutionalist party, or believes in things that are not 'pro government' risk being labeled an extremist--even if those 'things' are a reaffirmation of the rights of the consitution. Those who oppose abortion or gay marriage can also be considered a possible extremist...and can therefore be arrested in accordance with the patriot act--which the Obama administration (or any further down the road) will not repeal.

There is certainly a lot of 'setup' for much of what is foretold in revelations going on.

camper
camper

Postby RevSears on Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:08 am

You mention the patriot act camper, and I have to admit at the time i was for it. But now i hate it, and think we messed up big time in several areas. The warrantless wiretips are an extremely bad idea.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Darko on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:01 am

We could be. Or not. We'll never know, and I get rather leery of trying to interpret current events as signs and symbols of the 'end times.' For an interesting perspective on this, hunt down some old, old biblical commentaries and look at the variety of things that they were looking at as signs of the end of the world being close. The big one? The Reformation. The Catholic church saw that as the great 'falling away' (since they didn't consider the protestants Christian anymore) and closely associated Martin Luther with the Antichrist. Of course, on the other side, Martin Luther associated Pope Leo X (Pope at the time of the reformation) with the Antichrist and many of the reformers thought that the corruption within the Church was a sign of the end. Before that, they thought the rise of Islam was the big sign (if you do read the old commentaries, I'll help you with something that confused me for a bit...."Mahomet" is how they used to spell Muhammad). The Puritans AND the Catholics in England thought that the religious persecution by the Church of England was a sign. A whole ton of people thought that the French Revolution with its anti-theism was a bell ringer.

We like to think of everything now being worse than it ever has, and it certainly feels like that since we're living it. But if you look back through the centuries, there are a whole lot of times when things were worse at the very least for Christianity, if not the world. During the early days of the church, Christianity was persecuted by both the Romans and the Jewish authorities, and punishable by death. Then there was the rise of Islam and the fall of Constantinople (a ludicrously dark time for Christianity). The Crusades were a self-inflicted wound, illustrating the folly of trying to convert by the sword, or turn the church into a military force. The Church was looking pretty awful at the time of the Reformation, and had been for a long time, falling under the control of incredibly corrupt Popes more interested in personal power than the word of God. The French Revolution hit Christianity pretty hard. The Catholic/Protestant wars that exploded after the Reformation lasted in some parts of the world (Northern Ireland, mainly) up until the last decade or so. The lesser known Cristero War was nightmarish at best.

There's never been a time when it's been 'easy' for Christianity (as in the real message of Christianity, not just the religion), even when it has been the dominate religion, political power or even military force. The church (as in, the whole of Christianity) is both a divine and a human institution, and, unfortunately, the human side of things tends to get us into a lot of problems. If we're not under siege from without, we're destroying ourselves from within. My point is, things aren't great for Christianity right now (due to a variety of factors, many, many of which come from within), but that's nothing new, nor is this our low point. So yes, these could be the 'end times', but only in the way that, as Jesus warned us, any moment could be the last. Honestly, in my opinion, it shouldn't matter much to us. As Christians, whether the world has millions of years or a handful of seconds left, we should be living the exact same way.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Return to Discussions & Scripture