Is there a correct way to "preach?"

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

Is there a correct way to "preach?"

Postby RevSears on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:54 am

We need to get some debate going up in here!

So I thought i'd ask.

First up, if there is one correct way to "preach" (notice I'm using quotations here) wouldn't it be our duty to do it? Maybe you don't think there is a clear one way, but would scripture really leave us with zero examples on such an important issue?

I'm at work and can't whip out all the verses at the moment I'd like to, but here is one: Check out Nehemiah 8. He reads and ... explains!

Compare that with the new Testament with the many references to Jesus : TEACHING, or Paul REASONING or teaching.

I see now where that justifies some of the "preaching" that I have heard that involves lots of screaming and shouting etc. I know i am stepping on some toes, i'm not trying to do it to be mean, instead i'm trying to see if anyone has biblical justification for that can preaching.

teaching doesn't have to be strictly line by line expostiory style, I don't mean that either. Although that is what I prefer and feel grows best. So what do you guys think?
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: Is there a correct way to "preach?"

Postby destros_elite on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:32 am

I don't think there is one set way to preach. I, myself, am an expository preacher, but do not have a real problem with topical preaching so long as the pastor's thoughts on the topic are formed from and rooted in the Word of God. Too often many topical preachers will think towards the Word, rather than from the Word, meaning they try to find scripture to support their view (leading to using scripture out of context) instead of letting the Holy Spirit shape their thinking through the study of God's Word.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby Darko on Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:45 pm

I think there are a lot of different ways to preach, and not every approach will reach every person. Some people respond best to just hearing the Word read and explained to them, and being left to draw their own connections to life in today's world. Others will be reached best by directly addressing the heavy and confusing issues of today in light of scripture. I have two friends who are both Christian. One was convinced of Christianity's truth through preaching that focused on the loving and merciful nature of God. She didn't have much patience for philosophical musing or apologetic arguments, so they weren't the ones that reached her. The second friend is a guy who started out as a militant atheist and who found discussions of love and mercy sentimental blather, and was convinced of God's truth through philosophy and reason. Neither approach to teaching about God is 'incorrect'--God is, indeed, loving and merciful, and there are also good philosophical arguments for His existence. They just speak to different people of different mindsets.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby RevSears on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:09 am

I agree with you guys. I mentioned in my first post, there is a method I just don't think qualifies. The screaming, yelling, "exhorting" that doesn't have any kind of organization.

I'm fine with getting a point or two across, and I'm fine with topical vs. expository, or philopsical, or parables etc.

I want to be clear, charasamatic worship etc, isn't my problem, it's the extreme type of Charasamatic preaching. I see no biblical evidence for it. I'm also very leary of the constant crying type preaching. How is that edifying the body?
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Darko on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:53 pm

RevSears wrote:I agree with you guys. I mentioned in my first post, there is a method I just don't think qualifies. The screaming, yelling, "exhorting" that doesn't have any kind of organization.

I agree, especially since that type of preaching tends to just be a cover for sanctimony and self-righteousness. There's a guy in my city who goes around with a megaphone shouting from street corners, "The Bible is true, ya know! You're going to hell! You're all going to hell! You're all sinful!" I don't have any hard data, but I'm guessing that this approach has failed to win anyone over.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Postby Matthew on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:09 am

I don't think there is necessarily one way. I do feel like people can be taught to preach a certain way. Something I've learned growing up Baptist. They have this way of getting real loud (to grab your attention) then softly making there point :D. I've heard several Baptist preachers do this.

Anyway, I think there are different preaching styles for different people just as there are different denominations for different people.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:32 am

and being trained baptist , I can do that too :lol: I know exactly what you are talking about. But it honestly didn't occur to me at first to look and see if the bible taught a specific method. I just accepted what i was told was right, rather than look for myself. I never liked the screamy type, but as time as gone on and i've grown and become extremely picky when it comes to preaching. It's no longer just an issue of how the Pastor teaches (what i prefer to preaching) but also what they allow.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:51 pm

I was never "trained" how to preach. I have taken a class or two on sermon preparation, but that is all. I think that the what you are exposed to can and probably does have an influence, but for the most part I think it is just the style that the Lord has laid upon your heart. Your thoughts?
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby lobo on Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:25 pm

I was never taught a specific way - just what God has laid upon your heart. Sometimes, it's 10 minutes, other times it's 35. For me to preach at all, requires Divine assistance... For me to go past 15-20 minutes requires an extra measure of help.
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby RevSears on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:31 am

lobo wrote:I was never taught a specific way - just what God has laid upon your heart. Sometimes, it's 10 minutes, other times it's 35. For me to preach at all, requires Divine assistance... For me to go past 15-20 minutes requires an extra measure of help.

I'm usually not long-winded (the one time i've gotten to preach this year I was though, I had so much built up to say!) but I understand where you are coming from. It's not formalic in the time frame. Especially if you do topical (which is what i mainly used to do) but even expositor's have to stop somewhere.
Last edited by RevSears on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
RevSears

Postby MacGyver on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:16 pm

I see what you're getting at rev. I'm familiar with your reference to Nehemiah 8...one of my favorite passages of the Old Testament. This would definitey be an interesting topic to study, but off-hand I can think mostly exampes of expository teaching and reasoning. I tend toward expository teaching, taking Scripture and explaining what God's revealed to me through it. But I do take topics and research them for teaching as well. i think both are acceptable, but only if they are Scripture based and not just drawing a conclusion and hunting and pecking through the Bible to prove your point. Scripture is always the starting point for me. I do agree that different styles and methods reach a variety of people.

Darko wrote:
RevSears wrote:I agree, especially since that type of preaching tends to just be a cover for sanctimony and self-righteousness. There's a guy in my city who goes around with a megaphone shouting from street corners, "The Bible is true, ya know! You're going to hell! You're all going to hell! You're all sinful!" I don't have any hard data, but I'm guessing that this approach has failed to win anyone over.

That resonates with me because I had a similar experience. There was a guy on my college campus that would stand in front fo the same building every day and spout the same stuff. One day I was walking by and he singled me out and said "You're going to hell." He was right...lol...but he didn't know me from anyone else and that moment almost cost me the faith I would later discover.
MacGyver

Postby RevSears on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:46 am

Personally even as a saved person, i avoid anyone screaming out like that.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 am

RevSears wrote:Personally even as a saved person, i avoid anyone screaming out like that.

I hear ya. If a pastor's message causes me physical discomfort (as in an urge to cover my ears because they are hurting) instead of spiritual discomfort (as in the Holy Spirit's conviction), then it just turns me off completely. I can only imagine how badly it would/could turn off an unsaved person.
destros_elite

Return to Discussions & Scripture