The Perils of Hipster Christianity

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

The Perils of Hipster Christianity

Postby Darko on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:41 pm

A friend of mine who is a pastor in Scotland posted this on Facebook:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... stpop_read

I agree entirely with the author's thesis. I'm wondering what others think, though.
I support the separation of Church and Hate.
Darko

Re: The Perils of Hipster Christianity

Postby Matthew on Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:29 pm

I think I agree as well. It reminds me of an episode of Family Guy where Peter created the Church of the Fonz. He gained a following, but as soon as something new came along they all left his church.

I think if we try to make it "Hip," then whoever is attracted to the new shiny may will easily be attracted to whatever the next shiny thing may be. These people need to read the Bible. What made Christianity attractive was because it went against the grain, love and compassion were shown to those who were abandoned by the world.

Also, if you are using the term hip, you, by definition, are not it :D.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:20 pm

Matthew wrote:Also, if you are using the term hip, you, by definition, are not it :D.

:D
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:20 am

Great article thanks for sharing. I agree with everything he said. The things cited are very ridiculas, and i'm not a fan of the emmergant church.

I think many churches err in the focus. Yes you can and should use relevant music to your congregation, yes Tech can be a helper, you shouldn't fear it. But when it's the focus and not just an aid to heartfelt worship or straight out of the bible teaching, it will fail. There are still churches that err in the other direction and hold "tradition" (most of which is un biblical as the only way to go. I think i was more familiar with those churches coming from small churches in the bible belt etc. But it didn't take too many trips into "city churches" to see the other side of err. Glitz and glam is equally wrong. Stick to the word, keep it the focus always.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Return to Discussions & Scripture