looking to buy a new bible, need some advice

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

looking to buy a new bible, need some advice

Postby RevSears on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:43 am

I think i have my heart set on something that doesn't exist (not the first time.) I'm looking to purchase an NASB translation but I want something a little bigger than the pocket bibles that keep running into, but the trick is, i'd like to get it in Tan or Blue rather than black. Why? I can't think of a good reason really, but if it is out there i'd love to buy it. The problem is I only see the colored variants on bibles with someone's name printed on them (I'm looking at you charles stanely and the one the good sized blue NASB i can find) I've tried cbd, and Amazon, and even google! but I thought some of you all may be wiser than me.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: looking to buy a new bible, need some advice

Postby destros_elite on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:30 pm

You may want to check Lifeway.com.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:57 am

I hadn't thought to look there, I found one by Ryrie, but it's a stuy bible and there is ver little info on lifeway, and no pictures of their spines. I know i'm being pecular here, but I have several bibles for study, and I'd like one that looks a little nicer, not to mention several of leather bounds now have whole sections that have fallen out of them :(
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby destros_elite on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:50 am

I know exactly what you mean. I had the same problem and told my wife that I really wanted a genuine leather bible for durability and look. She got me the MacArthur Study Bible for Father's Day. I would suggest the MacArthur. This one is NKJV but I have it in hardback in the NASB. In my opinion John MacArthur's study bible is the best on the market.
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:34 am

Don't have an opinion. I've been using my NIV since 1998. I am thinking of looking again though.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:09 pm

I ended up purchasing a NASB made by Cambridge. It's black goatskin leather with wide margins. It was expensive, and wasn't the color i wanted, but the quality is great and should last me a good while.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:15 pm

Glad you found something you like. I'm thinking about getting a dual translation (possibly NIV/NLT and the Message), but I feel like Lifeway and other bookstores just have a ton of the same thing, but really not a lot of options.

I do want to get this a take it to church, just to see what people will say http://www.amazon.com/Comic-Book-Bible- ... 1577481437
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:24 pm

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CDcQ8wIwAQ

I have this one :) Of course, I don't read from it.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:38 pm

I flipped through the comic book Bible at a Lifeway in Roanoke (the shrink wrap was already off of it). It would be cool for someone to read but not as their primary Bible reading. I could see where it could help drive a Bible story home after studying it.
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:49 pm

My wife recently got me a Manga bible for my birthday last month. It was odd to flip through, but of course It's kinda neat to have. I'll admit I don't keep it on my bible shelf... it just doesn't seem right somehow.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:52 am

:)
Matthew
The Mayor

Return to Discussions & Scripture