Willing to go anywhere? and drop it all?

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

Willing to go anywhere? and drop it all?

Postby RevSears on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:16 pm

Recently I have been reading John Mark Terry's: Evangelism a Concise History. Conicse is the right word, this book is short and to the point. It still however has convicted me greatly. Everytime i read about Francis of Assisi or Waldo, or Zwingli etc. I look around and see the pile of stuff i've accumulated and am deeply convicted. Would I really be willing to drop all this stuff? I did when I moved to Alaska but i've noticed i have got most of it back up here by now, and I realized how much i had. It irks me. After living with little for awhile I don't want this much stuff, i'm almost disgusted by the amount of toys etc. i have. Without mentioning this to one of the Elders of the church, he brought up how he is looking for a new place to serve. He was our founding Pastor, served in Russia, and then returned and became one of elders. He still desires to teach and lead but would not step on his brother's (new pastors) toes. He showed me a request for an english speaking minister in Thailand! I was floored about how willing he is to drop everything, even Grand kids to go and serve where God is working. Do you guys feel you would be willing to drop it all and go? to say, "here am I, send me"
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: Willing to go anywhere? and drop it all?

Postby the pyromaniac on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm in a position where I'm asking myself this same question. I'm seriously thinking about going abroad to teach in an Assembly of God language school.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby Matthew on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:19 pm

I am not there. I agree, sometimes I wish there was an easy way to get rid of it, but get return on investment. Sure, I could drop it off somewhere (Goodwill, etc), but I think about how much I could make on ebay, and then I think about the pain in the butt it is for me to sell on ebay, then I decide that it's easier to keep it.

One thing I have done is to narrow my collecting goal. Still makes it hard to get rid of stuff because I will keep "custom fodder" just in case. But if if someone made me get rid of everything but a box of toys, I think I know what I would keep.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby destros_elite on Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Matthew wrote:I am not there. I agree, sometimes I wish there was an easy way to get rid of it, but get return on investment. Sure, I could drop it off somewhere (Goodwill, etc), but I think about how much I could make on ebay, and then I think about the pain in the butt it is for me to sell on ebay, then I decide that it's easier to keep it.

One thing I have done is to narrow my collecting goal. Still makes it hard to get rid of stuff because I will keep "custom fodder" just in case. But if if someone made me get rid of everything but a box of toys, I think I know what I would keep.

I, too, am narrowing down my collection (not as easy as it sounds).
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:27 pm

I agree with the last two post ;)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:18 pm

I started Ebaying in March to pay for a Disney World trip in December and Hilton Head at Christmas. That really helped me look at stuff and prioritize what matters to me. Stuff I have no real connection to, or that means less to me than taking my kid and Gabí somewhere nice, is getting listed as I have the time. Priorities are being reconsidered, and my hobbies have gone from hoarding Joes, baseball cards, and other non-eternal things to trying to catch 200 species of fish and job-hunting.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Discussions & Scripture