Rick Warren: Man of God, or False Prophet

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

Rick Warren: Man of God, or False Prophet

Postby Matthew on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 am

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/musl ... eback.html

If you don't feel like reading it, here is the headline.

Rick Warren builds bridge to Muslims
Through years of outreach, Saddleback Church pastor Rick Warren is part of an effort named King's Way that's attempting bring evangelical Christians and Muslims together.

First paragraph
The Rev. Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church in Lake Forest and one of America's most influential Christian leaders, has embarked on an effort to heal divisions between evangelical Christians and Muslims by partnering with Southern California mosques and proposing a set of theological principles that includes acknowledging that Christians and Muslims worship the same God.

I'm sure we all have heard of Rick Warren, and probably have all read "Purpose Driven Life." I think that this could cause a huge uproar in Christians, as it should, but also across the country. I really would love to have a good old fashion debate about this, because I think there is a lot we can discuss/learn from this.
Matthew
The Mayor

Re: Rick Warren: Man of God, or False Prophet

Postby destros_elite on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:57 pm

I have never considered Rick Warren as a Christian Leader. The way the secular world embraced him always caused me to be cautious of him as the world loves their own. I truely believe that we Christians need to make a true effort to reach Muslims for Christ, but what Rick Warren is doing is appalling to me. He must be a universalist. Even if Christians and Muslims worshipped the God (which we do NOT!), then it makes Jesus a liar as He declared "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father except by Me."

And I agree with you, Matthew. I hope this sparks a great debate here on the board. :D
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 am

Well, in Africa we were around a lot of Islamic people. I don't have time at the moment to go over this, but many believe we DO worship the same God. I guess it would be easy to say that the God of the Jews, Christians, Muslims, and Mormons is the same since He has the same origin.

And if you get a chance, find the verses in the Koran about the birth of Christ.

But to the topic, Warren has shown his true colors, huh?
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby chad_ghost on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 pm

This is what was written about Jesus:
http://www.welcome-back.org/topic/jesus.htm

Very similar, but as a baby he can talk! Muslims hold Jesus in high esteem, and some (I have heard) even believe that Jesus is the path to God (though their belief in the resurrection is different).

Saying that our God and Allah is the same is like asking three witnesses of a car crash to recount their stories (let's assume one person is right). Would their stories be exactly the same?

Anyway, just finished reading the article. Warren has easily lost track of the situation. This is COMPLACENCY. And what's up with dividing Christianity into Evangelical, Protestant, and Catholic.

Aren't we all Evangelical? And if not, why aren't we? Matthew 28 calls all to go, not just those who want to.

Argh! I love that America is afraid to judge Islam, yet we are afraid NOT to judge Christianity :roll:
chad_ghost

"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby RevSears on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:57 pm

destros_elite wrote:I have never considered Rick Warren as a Christian Leader.

I certainly disagree with Rick on the topic at hand, but then again I also disagree with Origin, Tertuallian, Augustine on some issues etc. Including major ones like the trinity! No man is perfect except Christ. Rick has pointed out some wonderful tactics to be used to reach the lost FOR CHRIST. He has challenged our current methods (especially ones that aren't working) of evangelism and challenged modern pharisees. I'd be careful not to toss him in a ditch too quickly.

I plan on coming back and saying plenty more, I continue to be very busy these days! So be patient with me.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:18 pm

Radical Islam = mental illness masquerading as faith

Allah = not the same God. Paul warns us not to accept any Gospel that contradicts the New Testament, even if it's given by an angel. Satan comes as an angel of light, and lied about his name (Gabriel) when giving Muhammad his "revelation".

We don't need to build bridges with Muslims unless it's by making them Christians!
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby RevSears on Thu May 17, 2012 6:08 pm

the pyromaniac wrote:Radical Islam = mental illness masquerading as faith

Allah = not the same God. Paul warns us not to accept any Gospel that contradicts the New Testament, even if it's given by an angel. Satan comes as an angel of light, and lied about his name (Gabriel) when giving Muhammad his "revelation".

We don't need to build bridges with Muslims unless it's by making them Christians!

I agree with everything you said.

My only issue is being wrong on one issue, doesn't meant the man isn't a Christian, we all of our failings. We need to correct him as a community, and tell him he is wrong on this, but i am not for lobbing the false prophet title at him, just an erring brother.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby chad_ghost on Fri May 18, 2012 10:38 am

RevSears wrote:I agree with everything you said.

My only issue is being wrong on one issue, doesn't meant the man isn't a Christian, we all of our failings. We need to correct him as a community, and tell him he is wrong on this, but i am not for lobbing the false prophet title at him, just an erring brother.

The problem here is that he is recognized as a Christian leader in America.
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby RevSears on Fri May 18, 2012 6:11 pm

correcting our leaders is nothing knew, Paul addressed Peter for instance, and yet we don't doubt his sincere belief in God at the time do we?
RevSears

Postby chad_ghost on Sat May 19, 2012 11:20 am

RevSears wrote:correcting our leaders is nothing knew, Paul addressed Peter for instance, and yet we don't doubt his sincere belief in God at the time do we?

Unfortunately with media today, this will be much more difficult. Honestly, he probably has more support now in certain areas than he ever did, which will make it even more difficulty for him to any errors in his ways.
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Wowboy on Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 am

the pyromaniac wrote:Islam = mental illness masquerading as faith

Fixed that for you.

What people don't seem to understand is that Islam as conceived of by Muhammed wasn't a religion in the manner that Judaism, Christianity or even Buddhism and Hinduism are. It's quite clear that there was an overt political element to his philosophies.

The Qu'ran reads like a blueprint for conquest and exerting political will throughout the world. What confuses people is that the Qu'ran hijacks stories and language from the Judeo-Christian world and twists them to mean something other than what their original intent was. For instance, in Christianity, the concept of a martyr is clearly a PASSIVE act. The typical Judeo-Christian martyr adheres to his faith even under threat of death, and is then executed by whatever local power is governing him. In Islam, they use the word martyr a lot as well, but to them it is a very ACTIVE act. An Islamic martyr will take up the sword, go to war in the name of Allah, and if he falls in battle, then he is a martyr. While some people say this is semantical, I think the difference between active and passive martyrdom is huge and speaks volumes of the religions these martyrs represent.

We hear a lot about peaceful Muslims, and indeed, the first half of the Qu'ran speaks volumes about living in harmony with your neighbors. However, at about the midway point, Allah changes his mind and begins to tell his followers (Muslims) to put the infidels to the sword if they do not accept dhimmitude (a form of second class citizenry where one must pay a tax to not accept Islam and it is even legal to be murdered.) Even modern Imams interpret this the same way. Muslims live peacefully with their neighbors until they can interact from a position of strength. Once they have this strength, they impose their will upon those same neighbors that they once lived peacefully with. While gathering this strength, they are commanded to lie and deceive, because it is not a sin to do so to unbelievers. Have any of you ever noticed that when Muslim are interviewed they often say just enough "radical" stuff that they think they can get away with? And then if they go on another interview and they know they can't get away with as much they will actually apologize for having said it, only to then say it again the next time they are in a forum that condones it? If you haven't, take note in the future. It will astound you.

What Rick Warren seems to want to do is build a dialogue and have churches and mosques sitting side by side in peace. That sounds great in a Universalist sense, but Jesus was not a universalist. If he were, he wouldn't have said "No man comes to the Father but by me." Rick Warren should focus more on sharing the gospel with the lost, which when it all comes down to it, Muslims are. Building bridges with the Islamic community is too much like clutching a viper to one's chest.
Wowboy

Postby destros_elite on Fri May 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Well said, Wowboy. :D
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby Matthew on Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 am

I need a *like* button.

This is akin to what Muslims are doing in Europe. They move to an area, and when that area becomes highly populated, they essentially setup their own government and courts, no longer following the laws of the land. But because the area has so many people, the real government can not intervene.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby the pyromaniac on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:55 am

@Wowboy, thanks for fixing that for me. I don't know why I added that extra word, because I had no intention of it when I typed that post. Muhammad was a mentally ill, racist, sexist, pedophilic jackass who was either hell-bent on destroying Biblical truth or was deceived by a fallen angel into believing and spreading a false belief system.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Discussions & Scripture