Chick-Fil-A hate, loveing rebuke, or free speech?

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

Chick-Fil-A hate, loveing rebuke, or free speech?

Postby RevSears on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:20 pm

You all know the drama I am talking about it. It's been nuts on facebook for the past month or so. I was curious as to your thoughts.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: Chick-Fil-A hate, loveing rebuke, or free speech?

Postby chad_ghost on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:57 pm

I never saw in concept exactly what was said, but I'm glad he's not afraid to state his opinion. In a liberal society, your opinion is okay unless it contradicts the left side.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby destros_elite on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:54 pm

chad_ghost wrote:In a liberal society, your opinion is okay unless it contradicts the left side.

Amen, Chad!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby RevSears on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 am

I'd agree with that, it is free speech unless of course it doesn't match the liberal agenda or proclaims the Bible as God's infallible word.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby lobo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:04 am

RevSears wrote:I'd agree with that, it is free speech unless of course it doesn't match the liberal agenda or proclaims the Bible as God's infallible word.
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Postby Wowboy on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Well, I just found out something about the fallout from this.

For some reason, my parents like to keep things from me, so I'm JUST NOW finding out that this went on.

My Mom works at the University of Tulsa as a database administrator. She's pretty much the stereotypical Christian Mom who goes to work, comes home and makes quilts, and goes to church every Sunday. She doesn't follow the news and often has no idea what is going on. Three of her co-workers including her boss are homosexual men. She has worked with them for 20+ years. She thought they were all very good friends as they often have lunch together and even attend each other's social functions (My Mom even went to a New Years party hosted by one of her gay coworkers.) She even spent an evening with one of them to console them when one of them lost a long-time partner to cancer. Heck, when my grandmother died, they came over and made all the preparations for the family dinner so that my Mom wouldn't have to deal with it. She is basically the embodiment of "love the sinner, but condemn the sin."

Well, the day this controversy came out, one of the ladies she works with came into her office and asked if everything was ok. My Mom had no idea what she was talking about. Apparently, her boss was talking with HR about how he could bring disciplinary action or even fire her for hate speech. My Mom was floored by this, and immediately went down the hall and caught her boss poring over the rather thick employee handbook.

Now, if you are someone who works with gay people and due to the controversy, you decided to stick a little stuffed chick-fil-a cow on your desk, then yeah, you are only doing it to jab your co-workers. That is inflammatory. However, in my Mom's office, she had at least two dozen stuffed animals, all of which were given to her by my sister just before she moved to Germany a year ago with her Air Force pilot husband. They were travelling light, so she dumped all the goofy little things on my Mom, including Donald Duck, Daffy Duck, Minnie and Mickey Mouse, the Taco Bell dog, a chinese rat from a local chinese restaurant, Shamu, and of course, the Chick-Fil-A cow. My Mom also has a portrait of Ronald Reagan with the caption "Remember when we had a real president?" that she actually purchased during the 92 election, because she didn't like either Bush or Clinton, and the portrait has stayed up ever since. There is also an 18 inch dancing Elvis and a dancing Santa that stays up year-round.

Of course, in the midst of this cacaphony of pop artifacts, her boss somehow zeroed in on the cow. In his mind, this cow had been planted there for one reason only, to speak out against her homosexual co-workers.

Their confrontation lasted the rest of the afternoon. She had to be filled in on the whole controversy, which he accused her of feigning ignorance of. She pointed out that all her stuff had been in her office for years. He refused to believe that this particular toy had been in there previously, because he had never noticed it. She responded by saying that you didn't notice it because it previously wasn't significant. His shouting carried down the hall, and when he made these ridiculous remarks, the lady who had tipped off the situation to my Mom popped her head in and told him that all the stuffed animals had been there for at least a year.

At this point he began to cool off a little bit and apologized, and my Mom thought the situation was over.

However, more was to come.

TU is a small campus, with only about 4,000 students and less than a tenth staff. In the morning her boss had flipped out, he told several people that my Mom was a hate-monger. This went viral. Now, no one will go to lunch with her, she doesn't get as many e-mails requesting assistance for IT problems anymore, and often when a call goes through to her, sometimes the people hang up as soon as she identifies herself.

A couple of weeks ago someone shoe polished HOMOPHOBE on her car.

She suspects of course that the staff that is holding this grudge has told the students about her, and some of the students are acting much like college students do -- in an extreme way.

And of course, her boss hasn't apologized for any of this.

As soon as I found out I have been urging her to take legal action. She doesn't think that is a Christlike thing to do, and that she just has to endure the persecution.

I'd like to punch someone in the mouth. Thankfully I can't lift my arms or I just might.
Wowboy

Postby RevSears on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 pm

You can't lift your arms? everything okay there?

Sad story, I see a lot of hate coming from the pro-homosexual side and it's tragic how Christians are instantly being labeled as hateful (did I mention i was called a Nazi and the best man at my first wedding was a non practicing homosexual? )

I'd support legal action too, Pauls encouragement to avoid the courts was among Christians only, that is a hostile work place!
RevSears

Postby Wowboy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Well, I can't move my arms (or walk very well) because my hips and shoulders have gotten so bad that I just can't move much. I figure it's just God's way of telling me to relax, which is cool with me because I have more time to read. I am getting a bit chubby though, so I should probably lay off the fudge and ice cream. I did get the closest parking spot to the building at work though :)

Yeah, I don't think it would be un-christlike for her to take some action against the university.

I actually was talking to our HR rep about some stuff and brought this up, and what they recommended was that my Mom ask her boss to make a public apology to stem the tide of resentment across campus. If he declined (which he did), have an attorney draft a letter to their HR department informing them that a situation has occurred that has created a hostile work environment for a long-time employee, and that a public apology is necessary to prevent the case from going further.

While I personally think that HR would compel her boss to send out a public apology stating that it was all a misunderstanding, if he still failed to do so, there is precedent for someone in a hostile work environment that is close to retirement succesfully suing a company for full retirement benefits early.

That is really something I am concerned about, because my Mom is only 2 years away from being eligible for the University's retirement plan (it's an old fashioned pension style plan) and she doesn't want to quit and go somewhere else and lose that. I would rather her not deal with this level of abuse for 2 years.
Wowboy

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:36 pm

This is crazy. These people are acting exactly as they claim Christians do.

And I also hate that Chic-Fil-A is stopping any funding towards traditional marriage. Is the dollar worth more than your beliefs?
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Wowboy on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:48 am

chad_ghost wrote:And I also hate that Chic-Fil-A is stopping any funding towards traditional marriage. Is the dollar worth more than your beliefs?

Apparently those reports have been erroneous, and Chic-Fil-A has affirmed that they do indeed provide charitable contributions to organizations that strengthen families and traditional marriage.
Wowboy

Postby RevSears on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:41 am

Wowboy do you know where say that? Sadly i have only seen articles that claim hey are getting out of funding those organizations.
RevSears

Postby Wowboy on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:23 pm

Well, I can't find it now... but it was on Foxnews.com and it basically said that Chick Fil A is going to continue to support children's charities and organizations that support the family.

Of course, support the family would likely be a euphamism for marriage between woman and man.
Wowboy

Return to Discussions & Scripture