Bullying

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

Bullying

Postby lobo on Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:03 am

A high school junior committed suicide in my county in the last week or two. She is one of many suicides attributed to bullying. All the sympathy from the public was nice, but.....

I couldn't help but wondering, what would Jesus do?

Would he confront the bully(ies) and tell them what they are doing isn't right? Perhaps intervene, if necessary? Or just comfort the family because no one did anything, and their child killed themselves?
Look! An old man pulling a box of junk...
lobo

Re: Bullying

Postby RevSears on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:35 pm

I'd say he would address the bullied and share with them Hope and give them a reason to persevere. He would also have noticed her hurt long before it got to this point. Problem is we are supposed to be his representative, did we try to be here? It's easy for teens with social issues to fall by the wayside, I just hope someone tried to witness to them.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby lobo on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:33 pm

Jesus and the woman at the well
John 4:1-40

Jesus and the temple money changers
John 2:15
Matthew 21

God
Elisha and the bears
2 Kings 2:23-25
lobo

Postby Matthew on Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm

I think Jesus wouldn't have even let it get this far (suicide).

As a parent, it breaks my heart to think that a child could be so bullied and depressed to the point of suicide and the parents "allowed" it to happen.

I know I'm generalizing, and I don't know the family or the situation, and I can't quite write it out like it's in my head, but I can't imagine suicide as something that just happens after one incident.

Does this make sense?
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby lobo on Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:36 pm

Matthew wrote: I can't quite write it out like it's in my head

Someone should have seen something?

Parent: How was school today?

School: Dear Mr. and Mrs. X, we've noticed that your child has been having problems and we would like to speak with you.

Student: I saw Johnny get beat up at school today. The girls in english said Susy was a cow.

Christians: Oh Lord, please put me in someone's path today. Let me be a speed bump. Let them slow down long enough that I can tell them that You love them, at least.

For him who knows what is right, and doesn't do it, it is a sin.
lobo

Postby Wowboy on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:41 pm

lobo wrote:

School: Dear Mr. and Mrs. X, we've noticed that your child has been having problems and we would like to speak with you.

Student: I saw Johnny get beat up at school today. The girls in english said Susy was a cow.

Christians: Oh Lord, please put me in someone's path today. Let me be a speed bump. Let them slow down long enough that I can tell them that You love them, at least.

I don't quite understand what you mean... could you clarify?
Wowboy

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:35 pm

Bullying is so different than what is was when we were kids. Not to say that it's getting worse, it's just getting easier.

As a middle school teacher, I can definitely say that cyber bullying happens a lot. Unfortunately, there's little that we can do except teach our children better.

A simple rule, at least I think, is that you can't cyber bully me if I don't give you access. Don't openly friend on social media; don't give out cell phone numbers.

Lastly, we need to show Christ's love so others know that suicide is not the solution.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby lobo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:38 am

I was trying to say that hopefully someone, somehow saw something. Something that they should have acted upon, but didn't for whatever reason.

Sometimes, I think we are too busy or too worried about getting involved that we don't act.

Wowboy wrote:
lobo wrote:

I don't quite understand what you mean... could you clarify?
lobo

Return to Discussions & Scripture