The Bible (TV Series) on the History Channel

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

The Bible (TV Series) on the History Channel

Postby andrwfields on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:11 am

Hey guys, long time, no see. :D

So I'm curious to know what you all thought about the new Bible tv series that the History Channel just ran?

I bought it on Blu-ray and I'm almost finished watching it, but I'm definitely going to be going back and re-watching it again. Personally, I thought they did a pretty decent job on it, and presented it in a good fashion. The thing I liked about it the most was how interested Madix was in it.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: The Bible (TV Series) on the History Channel

Postby Matthew on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:22 am

Did not see. Don't have History Channel, but would like to watch it eventually.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:40 pm

I have not seen it, and will likely not. Ive read reports of great inaccuracies from scripture. At best i think it's a good way to get some of the basics communicated, but it runs a really strong risk of embedding lots of little incorrect details.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:44 am

I haven't seen it either, though I am interested. I might need to go pick it up soon.
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 am

RevSears wrote:I have not seen it, and will likely not. Ive read reports of great inaccuracies from scripture. At best i think it's a good way to get some of the basics communicated, but it runs a really strong risk of embedding lots of little incorrect details.

The problem is, nobody is ever going to get it "right." Everyone who reads the Bible has their own bias and thus will spin it the best way they see fit. Don't forget, this is the History Channel that is broadcasting it. They are obligated to present it in a way that non-Christians can still enjoy the programming. If it brings more people to God though, I don't have a problem with some inaccuracies.

Would you care to elaborate on what the inaccuracies were? While I say I watched it, I did sleep through a few bits the first time through. I plan on going back soon and rewatching it though.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Wowboy on Wed May 01, 2013 11:45 am

Well, I didn't see the series... mainly because I don't care for the history channel and rarely even watch TV. It sounds like most of the differences between the show and scripture were cosmetic. The biggest faux pas on the part of the producers was failing to equate sexual sin with sodom. I read that when the mob approached Lot after the two angels arrived, the show doesn't even show them making their primary demand... that they wanted to rape the angels.
Wowboy

Postby andrwfields on Thu May 02, 2013 10:41 am

Yeah, they did leave that part out now that I think about it.
andrwfields
Constable

Return to Discussions & Scripture