Read any good books lately?

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

Read any good books lately?

Postby andrwfields on Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 am

I'm working on Not A Fan by Kyle Idleman. I picked it up at Lifeway a few weeks ago and have been reading it on and off. The whole idea behind the book is about teaching people not to be in Jesus's "fan club" but to actually follow and obey his teachings. Pretty radical stuff so far.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: Read any good books lately?

Postby chad_ghost on Mon May 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Let's see:
- The Hobbit
- Pilgrim's Progress (only part 1 of 2)
- Catching Fire (in progress - the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy)
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Matthew on Tue May 28, 2013 9:43 am

Reading a book called "Nothing but faith in my pocket" that was written by a very good friend of mine

http://judeanmissions.com/product/nothi ... an-rebold/
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 pm

chad_ghost wrote:Let's see:
- The Hobbit
- Pilgrim's Progress (only part 1 of 2)
- Catching Fire (in progress - the second book of the Hunger Games trilogy)

I haven't read the Hobbit in a long time. Great book though.
What is Pilgrim's Progress?
The Hunger Games trilogy is pretty good. I think I read the entire series in a week!

Matthew wrote:Reading a book called "Nothing but faith in my pocket" that was written by a very good friend of mine

http://judeanmissions.com/product/nothi ... an-rebold/

What's it about and is it good?
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:54 am

I'm only on Chapter 3, but I know about the story.

My friend (and author of the book), Ryan, wanted to step out in faith and do something that he could only accomplish with God's help. He visited 7 cities in 7 days riding a greyhound bus and did street evangelism. He didn't take money, food, water, phone, etc. He took Bibles, gospel tracks, and maps and relied on local churches to provide food and shelter. This is a memoir of his trip.

Since then, he has completed his masters in theology from Liberty University as well as founding Judean Missions (http://judeanmissions.com)
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 pm

That sounds awesome! Where can I find the book and how much is it?
andrwfields
Constable

Postby RevSears on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:10 am

http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-But-Faith-In-Pocket/dp/1613463138/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=23SSGBZ1DFU9W&coliid=I19YNIRHBSGX9Z

It's been on my wish list since i heard of it, I need to grab next time i am out of stuff to read.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:24 am

I can pick up copies from the author for both of you guys. PM me your addresses and I'll calculate shipping and total price. I can get the book for $12
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm

andrwfields wrote:What is Pilgrim's Progress?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim's_Progress
The Pilgrim's Progress from This World to That Which Is to Come is a Christian allegory written by John Bunyan and published in February, 1678. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature,[1][2][3][4] has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print.

I have this version though:
http://www.christianbook.com/pilgrims-p ... 7Aod4B4AaA
chad_ghost

"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 am

So it's meant as book for youths as well? I might have to check that out.

I'm going to check my library the next time I'm there to see if they have it.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby chad_ghost on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:58 pm

andrwfields wrote:So it's meant as book for youths as well? I might have to check that out.

I'm going to check my library the next time I'm there to see if they have it.

Keep in mind that in the last 40 years, 8th grade reading standards in the 1960s are now 12th reading standards; I don't see many youths reading this :)
But if you can, definitely get the Modern English version.
chad_ghost

chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby andrwfields on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:21 am

chad_ghost wrote:Keep in mind that in the last 40 years, 8th grade reading standards in the 1960s are now 12th reading standards;

:lol:
andrwfields
Constable

Postby andrwfields on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 pm

I haven't finished Not A Fan yet, but I can tell you it's one of the best Christian books that I've read, bar some of C.S. Lewis' books. Some really deep, convicting, and thought provoking stuff in this one.

I definitely recommend it! It's on sale at Lifeway for $10.
andrwfields
Constable

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Andy, don't forget about the book I have for you. Sitting on my desk in a padded mailer at the moment :-)
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:55 pm

Oh man! It completely slipped my mind! I will be sending money your way soon! Thanks for getting it for me!
andrwfields
Constable

Next

Return to Discussions & Scripture