New Bible

Anything religious related that you want to talk about or have questions about the Word? If it relates to Faith it can be discussed in this section.

New Bible

Postby andrwfields on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:05 pm

So, the bible I've been using for the last 6 years was a wedding present from my late wife. I won't lie and say I didn't love the thing. It is my most favorite translation of the bible. It's an NLT from a very specific publication year. I was never able to find it, and she surprised me with it for our wedding.

However, since I have entered back into the dating world, and seem to be in a pretty serious relationship, I don't feel that it's appropriate to be toting around the bible that my late wife gave me, especially in front of my girlfriend. I decided to put that bible up as a gift for Madix when he gets older, perhaps as a wedding gift for him.

So today, Madix, Vanna (my girlfriend), and I all went to Lifeway in search of a new bible. I ended up coming home with an ESV study bible and a new cover to put it in. I went ahead and bought those tabs for it as well. I'm pumped about it! It's an awesome bible and it's my first real study bible.

So, what version are you reading out of (or do you use the most), and why?
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Re: New Bible

Postby RevSears on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:29 pm

NASB all the way, although i have several (kjv,nkjv,nlt,niv and AMP0 I don't have an ESV and like what i have heard about it.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:52 am

My church uses NKJV, which I don't really like. Confuses me a little too much. I pretty much stick with NIV for clarity reasons, but wonder to the Message and Voice sometimes to hear modern interpretations.

I almost exclusively use the Bible Gateway app, so I switch around often :-).
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby andrwfields on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 pm

Sam and I were just talking about this the other night.

I've not heard of the Voice bible yet. Details?

As far as the Message goes, I really like that it's simplified, but I don't think it would make a good reference bible. Eugene Peterson did a great job, but he is just one man and the translation was left entirely to his interpretation of things. Still yet, if I were going to read the bible like a novel, the Message would be a great choice for it! I would never get rid of mine.

I'm not a big fan of the KJV or the NKJV just because I feel that they're both outdated. It's what my church uses, but I choose not to. I want the bible to be understandable. However, I keep a copy of the KJV at home, especially when reading Psalms or Proverbs. The natural poetry of those versions is great for it.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby RevSears on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:36 pm

I think Andy has a great point about the message. I would never read it from a pulpit, or even use it at home, but i know of hippies (while stoned) or kids who have been able tor read it and get enough of the gospel to be saved and no the basics. It's impportant later to check what they have learned against more accurate translations, but I think it does play a role, and gets a too much flak.

and again i echo Andy, when it comes to poetry the KJV sound beautiful and sticks in the mind more. I tend to use it a lot in those sections.

Matt i'm with you on the NKJV, it doesn't modernize things enough, and I am at odds with the Calvary Chapels on this, they love it, and it is used almost exclusively, I don't plan on that :) hopefully that doesn't rattle their cage too much.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Return to Discussions & Scripture