Direction of the site?

If you are having problems with the site or just want to give suggestions on how we can improve, pop in here and let us know.

Direction of the site?

Postby ColtsFan76 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:50 pm

One of the questions posted before the old site went down was what direction is this site going to take. Has any more thought been given to that answer? I am just curious because the activity has waned and I am curious to know if people just aren't interested anymore or too many people gave up trying to log on when the site went down.

On top of that, what is the focus of the site? I thought this was to be Joes and Christianity. Besides the prayer request site, there doesn;t seem to be a whole lot of either. So where do we go from here?
James 1:19-20 (NIV)
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Matthew on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:13 pm

Great question Bri. If I post something on joecustoms, I'll post it here as well. I really don't see what it would hurt even to bring joe news to the board. I kinda feel like people expect joe news on other boards. I do feel that all posts seem to be about Christianity, and not just shooting the bull between friends.

I do feel that this place needs to be a place of Christian support, where as other message boards do not fit that need.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby chad_ghost on Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm

id really like to open this up to a lot of different collectors because i feel that it could be a great supplemental site for other Christians.

it just seems that so much crap is thrown on other sites, and i loved how mature everything was handled here.

i also want this place to be known and for those who profess the Faith to do it proudly and boldly, to show what Christ has done in our lives to others in the community. to me, this is like a 'church' for us, and our other sites are the ones we need to reach.

i spoke to matt about some other things id like to do too. i just hate the numbers are down. ive done my best to repost on other boards, but its in God's hands. i just pray that He keeps this vision clear for us all, so that we can make an impact for His name...
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby Skyfire on Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:45 pm

Don't discount the effect that simple word of mouth can have. Just give it some time.
Skyfire

Postby ColtsFan76 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:00 pm

I am asking so that we have an identity. It seems like this is trying to be a place to gather Christians from other Joe sites. Do we want Christian collectors of things that are non-Joe - of course! But before we actively recruit from other sites, I think we just need to be a bit more defined on this site.

I guess what I am getting at is "Why should I come here?" Christian support - OK. A means to witness to non-Christians because we have a link through our hobbies - OK. A place to ask questions about Christianity and chat about GI Joe - OK. All of these things are great and I fully support it. What I am not interested in is the archeology and what I perceive as bait to get into arguments about certain sects. I have no interest in that and it seemed to be the only topics of new coming up - especially since the site has been back up. I was just finding my self less and less interested and to the point of not checking in as often. Luckily, we have had some more topics go back up and some new prayer concerns and it has kept me interested.

I am just trying to figure out how this all fits in and what I should be expecting from here on out.
My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Matthew on Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:21 pm

G.I. Bri wrote:I am asking so that we have an identity. It seems like this is trying to be a place to gather Christians from other Joe sites. Do we want Christian collectors of things that are non-Joe - of course! But before we actively recruit from other sites, I think we just need to be a bit more defined on this site.

I guess what I am getting at is "Why should I come here?" Christian support - OK. A means to witness to non-Christians because we have a link through our hobbies - OK. A place to ask questions about Christianity and chat about GI Joe - OK. All of these things are great and I fully support it. What I am not interested in is the archeology and what I perceive as bait to get into arguments about certain sects. I have no interest in that and it seemed to be the only topics of new coming up - especially since the site has been back up. I was just finding my self less and less interested and to the point of not checking in as often. Luckily, we have had some more topics go back up and some new prayer concerns and it has kept me interested.

I am just trying to figure out how this all fits in and what I should be expecting from here on out.

i agree. we don't need to always be debating or looking at archaelogical finds. we really just need to cut up and be ourselves
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby camper on Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:40 am

Honestly, I'm not sure what I want or am expecting of this site.

I'm hoping it will be a place where people can come to discuss issues that might pop up on the sites they normally frequent (such as Joecustoms, Yojoe, etc) but are outlawed there due to their tie in to Christianity or the potential tie in to Christianity. Or maybe even something there that was brought up that they just want to talk about and get a Christian perspective on.

Arguing/Debating/etc...I don't know how I feel about that. On one hand, I'm against it because I realize the problems it can cause between members. On the other hand, I feel compelled to participate if it's something that is a worthwhile discussion. The subject of Christianity, and what does and does not fall into that umbrella, has always been a topic that I've found worthwhile. I wouldn't want someone I liked or cared about to take cyanide thinking it's asprin, if you know what I mean. I think a debate/discussion/argument has it's place and it's merits, but I don't want that to be ALL this site is.

Off topic items, archeology, etc...That doesn't bug me. Sometimes it's interesting, and sometiems it's not. I (like almost everyone here) have a wide range of interests and seeing what people post in an off-topic area gives a glimpse as to what those interests are. I've always found that OT posts help me to 'figure out' a person, for lack of a better term. Some great discussions have come from posts that wouldn't otherwise fit anywhere else, and so long as the titles of the topic are coherent it's easy for those who wish to avoid such things to do so. The other thing about OT posts, if you want a bunch of people to 'shoot the bull', they gotta know which part to aim for ;) Posting random things & topics gives a starting point for people to engage in discussions to get a better feel for each other. We're all coming from different boards and may not even know each other from those places very well.

Non Christians...they might poke in to see what's going on. They might poke in to make fun. There might even be visits by non-Christians who claim to *be* Christians, thinking they're on the right path. Perhaps a section to give advice/introduction/info to those who fit that bill? I'd even go so far as to say that you should only allow registered users to post on the site, with the exception of that section...so someone who might be 'shy' can post questions annonymously. Of course, do that and you'll have to police it regularly...but there is a greater payoff to anonymity in regard to those who wouldn't otherwise post with their true identity.

I really like the idea of opening it up to other toy collectors, but agree 100% with Brian that the 'purpose' needs to be more established. Inevitably, you'll get the question from someone asking 'why is that site there?'. Of course, if you can answer that question than that will more than likely give you the purpose of the site ;)

As far as there being a limited discussion as of late...honestly I don't really know what to talk about. I don't have anything to really contribute at this time, and am having trouble thinking of a topic to start up. Sometimes I can just get going and going and going, but most of the time something needs to be there first in order for me to get some momentum up.

dan
camper

Postby Matthew on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:15 am

Non Christians...they might poke in to see what's going on. They might poke in to make fun. There might even be visits by non-Christians who claim to *be* Christians, thinking they're on the right path. Perhaps a section to give advice/introduction/info to those who fit that bill? I'd even go so far as to say that you should only allow registered users to post on the site, with the exception of that section...so someone who might be 'shy' can post questions annonymously. Of course, do that and you'll have to police it regularly...but there is a greater payoff to anonymity in regard to those who wouldn't otherwise post with their true identity.

great idea. we fixed it last night were non-members cannot post (ie guest) but to open a forum for non-christians to post for whatever reasons would be cool. have it open to guest. I really would love to see people find Christ in this site, which to me would make this site a success
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby camper on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:20 am

Matthew wrote:

great idea. we fixed it last night were non-members cannot post (ie guest) but to open a forum for non-christians to post for whatever reasons would be cool. have it open to guest. I really would love to see people find Christ in this site, which to me would make this site a success

Keep in mind though, that even if you strengthen the faith of just one Christian you can count the site a success. Just because you can't immediately see the result doesn't mean that the effect isn't there.

dan
camper

Postby ColtsFan76 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:43 pm

OT threads are fine and I agree they help us get to know one another better. But when it's all OT stuff (and again, this question was brought up a bit ago when we had 1 new post every other day and it pertained to neither Joes or Christianity), then I have to ask why I am here. Since this topic came up, we have had quite a few more posts - a lot dealing with prayres and some new topics. So that' sgood. But I also want to know where we are gong from here on out.

Obviously, this site was started so that Joe fans could discuss Christian topics. I think we should open it up to non-Joe fans also. I think any topic that people want to discuss is OK as long as we have some clearly defined forums for that. If I am interested, that's fine, if not, I can skip it. I think we were headed in the right direction but we just got a major stall out for about 3 weeks or so. I just wanted to help get us moving again. :)

<><
ColtsFan76
aka G.I. Bri

Postby Jedi Master Shadow on Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:04 pm

I agree with Camper here - I don't mind OT discussions or religious debates. If I see a subject that interests me, I like to be able to dialogue with people about it. If I don't want to, I won't read it. But overkill, um, kills my interest. For instance, if I see 1 or 2 posts about archaelogical finds, I might pop in and read them, since I do like reading about those kinds of things from time to time. Call it my latent Indiana Jones complex. But if suddenly 50 of those pop up, I probably won't read any. Same with apologetics/debates. An example there is the thread on Hell. I actually find this thread to be quite interesting, and is making me pull out my Bible and read the passage, always a good thing. So I think certain discussions can be good and serve to strengthen our own beliefs. But too much of anything dilutes the idea.

Above all, I like coming to this sight just knowing there are other Joe fans out there who are also Christians who I can fellowship with. That makes it worth checking in for me.
Ephesians 6:11 - "Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

Jedi Master Shadow

Postby CreepingDeath on Fri May 12, 2006 12:14 am

Pardon my intrusion on your discussion, but as a new member I can say this....

I came here from the link in ColtsFan76's signature at another site. When I arrived, I immediately felt comfortable knowing that this is a site focused on/in Christian values. Then whammo!!! I see the cool forums about toys, games, comics, etc. ....I'm thinking paradise.

So my point is that this is a great place to come in a spiritual sense and feel right at home surrounded by good people. Then, "oh by the way" there is a lot of just good old fun stuff here as well.

If you want growth, get exposure at sites involving political conservatives, Christians, Home schoolers, FCA groups, Boy Scouts, and church websites.

As a website, the motto here should be something akin to "Come for strength, stay for the fun." Mind you, this is just my perspective as a curious consumer who became a member.
CreepingDeath

Postby Matthew on Fri May 12, 2006 8:01 am

great suggestions, and by no means have you intruded. new ideas and thoughts are always welcome. great to have you aboard.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby camper on Mon May 15, 2006 6:01 am

How about a statement of faith, would that be something worth putting up?

That way a Christian could read what the core beliefs of the site are so they can see if they really do feel 'safe'. Granted, there will be differences on the minor beliefs, but there are definite core Christian beliefs and I know when I go to Christian sites that's the first thing I check.

dan
camper

Postby Matthew on Mon May 15, 2006 9:00 am

good idea.

it could be a forum underneath "in the beginning"

state our salvation story, history of following Christ, denomination, things we believe. etc.
Matthew
The Mayor

Next

Return to Questions & Comments