Russian mission trip, fishing gear required

We would love to know how you involved or would like to be involved. Maybe you just have questions on where God wants you. In either case, this is the place for such topics.

Russian mission trip, fishing gear required

Postby the pyromaniac on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 am

This past Sunday at church, we had a guest speaker, a missionary to Russia who gets most of his support from our congregation. He showed a lot of pictures and told some amazing stories, and God spoke to this gringo right here!

The missionary at one point made sure to point out in a picture that the native missionaries he works with were about to sit down to dinner and all they had was a bowl of salt fish (basically, think sardines that have been out of the can for 3 days). I heard the "teach a man to fish" Scripture in the back of my mind. At the time I was sitting between Normus (who is not dead, actually, though I'm sure y'all thought differently) and our friend Wayne (angry old coal miner who had to retire when the machine he was running exploded and pretty much destroyed his spine in '09), who are both talented anglers (especially Normus). I shared that with both of them and said maybe the three of us need to go over there to encourage the local missionaries and teach them to fish and hunt (Wayne is a hardcore big game hunter). We agreed to pray about it.

After the service, Normus and I ran into the missionary by accident (or at least, that's what I'd believe if I weren't a Christian). In the course of our conversation, he told us he's been desperately wanting to get some American bass anglers to go over there, take a bunch of equipment to hand out, and teach the locals how to catch salmon, sturgeon, ruffe, pike, zander, wels, and tzetchkin on it.

So, bottom line, Normus and I might be doing some fishing seminars in Russia next summer....
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Re: Russian mission trip, fishing gear required

Postby Matthew on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:11 am

That's great, a hobby you love and being able to use it for Jesus.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 pm

keep us up to date. That could be a wonderful way of helping those missionaries.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby chad_ghost on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:13 pm

That sounds awesome! God gives us talents to glorify Him!
chad_ghost

Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures
"We cannot live the Christian life, only strive to. Only one man did, and they named it after Him."
chad_ghost
Administrator

Postby the pyromaniac on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:19 pm

The missionary is a serious angler who also did a lot of hunting before he got old. He took hundreds of dollars in fishing gear over there a few years ago to hand out.
"A lot of Christians take a part of their life and try to make it their ministry. Plumb is my job, but every conscious second is my ministry."

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Postby destros_elite on Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Praise the Lofd! What a great opportunity to serve Him!
TheDoctor: "Restricted access, no unauthorized personnel." Hmmm... [opens lock with sonic screwdriver]
Amy: That's breaking and entering!
TheDoctor: What did I break? Sonicing and entering,totally different[/u]
DoctorWho-The Hungry Earth
destros_elite

Postby the pyromaniac on Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:35 pm

No news, but I'm still seriously thinking I need to do this.......

Tiffany (Arbuckle) Lee
lead singer, Plumb
the pyromaniac

Return to Ministries & Activities