Home Bible Study starting in July 2013

We would love to know how you involved or would like to be involved. Maybe you just have questions on where God wants you. In either case, this is the place for such topics.

Home Bible Study starting in July 2013

Postby RevSears on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:22 am

http://bibleintheboro.wordpress.com/

I would love any feedback on the site and info and of course prayers. We have a lot of projects to finish before i'm truly reading to start this, but we have prayerfully set a date of July 18th as our first meeting and started to spread the word.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Re: Home Bible Study starting in July 2013

Postby andrwfields on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am

I know you're still working on the site, but here are some of my recommendations:

You know that I'm a stickler for spelling, grammar, and punctuation, but when you are presenting a website as information for people who don't know about what you're offering, that is going to be a key factor in presenting a professional and organized group without them actually seeing it.

Two things I would expand on:

*Making sure that your website visitors know that members from EVERY denomination (and people who don't have a church :wink: ) are welcome at your study.

*Also, being open to and making sure your attendees know it's okay to bring other bibles outside of the NASB and the KJB. Some people are very set in the type of bible they use, like you know that I am a huge fan of the NLT, so try not to judge them or the bible they use right off the bat. This will also help with your interpretation of the Word during the study.

On the "What do we believe?" page, it almost makes the group seem uninviting. I know that probably isn't your intention, but I think rewording a few things and fixing some grammar and punctuation stuff will fix that.

Also, make some changes to the first post. Take off the title of "logo and test post" and make it a "Welcome" post. Give a brief description of what the site is for and offer a blessing.

The only other thing I would do (and I'm sorry for critiquing the crap out of your site) is drop $10 to take off the wordpress.com branding and make it your own URL.
"...An Apology. If you met me between 1987 and 2005 and I told you, "I'll pray for you," that was a lie. Never happened. I probably didn't pray for you. And that's not cool." - Prodigal Jon from StuffChristiansLike.blogspot.com
andrwfields
Constable

Postby RevSears on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:48 pm

It has been updated once(and that was 2 minutes worth) since it's first draft :( I have been so busy with Heather working overtime. Thanks Andy, I've a got chance this afternoon to really put some work into it! any specific grammar etc issues? It's hard to catch your own mistakes.
http://nerd4thelord.wordpress.com/ A blog about Nerd topics from a Christian perspective.
RevSears

Postby RevSears on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 pm

alright getting to edit some things a bit.

could you elaborate on what might be discouraging in the the what we believe page? Gotta have principles to stand on! I always look for that kind of stuff when i am looking for a Church, granted I realize I'm not the audience i'm shooting for, but more the lost and those who have fallen out of church attendance (who are often in the first group too).

as for the .com, It's a bit more than 10 these days. Godaddy is cheaper but you then have to pay an additional 13 to wordpress to connect it. Either way it is closer to 30$. with recent financial snags, and the fact that at first i'm really only able to hold about 10 people, I'd go for more cards rather than the website so I could have a greater chance of getting those 10 people first, then later when some medical bills are eliminated and next round of cards come, then go .com. I'm honestly not even sold solidly on the name which also makes me hesitate to buy a .com. I'm looking forward to God guiding this past a home fellowship and when he does, then i can apply and hopefully quickly start to use a Calvary chapel .com which means i would have to do the .com again. Granted that could take 5-10 years or maybe never but It was on mind. Anyways, ignore most of my rambling, my real advertising is going to be done in person door to door, possibly starting tomorrow if I can polish the site more today. I tried online out reach with 2nd chance, that goes no where :( This is really just to supplement the in person stuff.
RevSears

Postby RevSears on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:07 pm

Had a wonderful meeting with the new interim senior Pastor at my church, came right along side the Pastor I was working with, even more encouraging actually. Definitly have support for this to grow into a full Calvary Chapel over time. New Pastor is desiring to use me more at the current Church as wellsaid he wanted to,"put that degree to work." when we first spoke about, today spoke about several ideas as to how, but my main focus is the bible study.

We need lots of prayer. I have a sign up in the yard, and have hit almost 150 houses, posted on Topix and Craigslist. Hoping to post something up at Starbucks tonight, trying to design a flier right now. I will be searching for more places to put up fliers and continuing to go door to door on the weekends.
RevSears

Postby Matthew on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:47 am

Great! Keep it up. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Matthew
The Mayor

Postby RevSears on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:03 pm

blessed with 3 tonight, one of them my mother in law ( a Mormon !)

The word was taught, good questions were asked, good illustrations shared, and it was clearly a blessed night.

was thankful to be joined by my neighbor across the street as the new one tonight, hopefully all keep coming and more!
RevSears

Return to Ministries & Activities